Interested in thoughts on the Honda HRV

weeslip

I'm after taking a fancy to the honda hrv. Looking at one in finglas (the sunroof brings me back to my first car :) ) [broken link removed]

I'm due to drive it on wednesday. Does anybody have any experience of the newer model. Interested in feedback on performance, handling, comfort over long journeys, economy and reliability.

Thanks

Out of 10.

Performance 6, handling 7 (a high car so not easy), comfort 6 (Civic based),
economy 4 (or 3 if it's a 4wd version), reliabilty 9.5.

What's Good

Be-spoilered suburban style wagon with part-time four-wheel-drive. 3-door: 13' 2" long by 5' 7" wide, weighing 1,200kg and capable of towing 1,200kg. Cheaper than CRV with smaller 1.6 engine offering 104 or 123 bhp. 4x4 5-door version added from spring 2000 together with two-wheel-drive version of 3-door. 5-door is 13' 6" long. Two-wheel-drive 123 bhp version is quite fast with 10.8-second 0-60. Much better than a Vitara. Improvements for 2002 model year include CVT option, new look interior and Type-T mesh grille. 11th from top of 100 models for reliability in Auto Express 2002 survey. Joint 2nd top make in 2002 'Which?' reliability survey [broken link removed] 2000 - 2002; also 2nd for cars 1997 - 1999. Hondas generally 8th lowest average warranty repair costs in 2003 Warranty Direct Reliability index (index 67.27 v/s lowest 31.93) Fewest problems and faults and average in breakdowns making it 'Worth Considering' in 2003 Which survey. 14th top car out of 137 in 2003 Top Gear survey. Honda 2nd top top of Reliability Index for 2004 combining low average cost of repair of £263.17 with low 19.62 failures per 100 Warranty Direct policies. Link:- www.reliabilityindex.co.uk

What's Bad

Not hugely roomy. Problems with CVT auto where fitted. Needs fresh ATF every year. if still under warranty Honda has a replacement "clutch starter kit" which solves the thump when drive is engaged.

What to Watch Out For

Make sure screen isn't horizontally cracked (a common fault).

thanks for the info, i have had the same comment on economy from a number of sources and i think the time has come to scratch the Honda of my list. It is a lovely looking machine but.

Thanks to all for the info.

Back