Insurance Renewal

Lemon2000

Hello

My husband’s company paid for his health insurance and we (myself and three children aged 9, 7 and 2 years old) just went with the same plan even though I knew it wasn’t necessarily the best value. Now he is leaving the company and for the first time in years I’m trying to find cover myself and feel so overwhelmed when I go to the HIA website. We are currently on Be Fit 2.1. The thing is that I am not necessarily looking for a similar plan, as there are other factors I need to consider as mentioned below, but I am concerned about leaving us with too little cover. I’d would really appreciate any advice.

Some things to consider: My husband and I are 44 and 42 respectively. We won’t be having more children so the maternity cover isn’t a concern. My children and I have a mild clotting disorder which causes no major additional day to day risk but means that were we to require invasive procedures then they would have to be carried out in James hospital for me and Crumlin hospital for the children, incase we need the support of the haematology unit. So while I don’t see us needing the high tech hospitals for overnight stays, I think we should keep them for day procedures just in case. Maybe my husband should keep that option though?

I have taken the children privately to consultants before for hearing assessments and ENT issues, and have seen consultants privately myself for minor issues, so I think it is wiser to keep that option open and keep them on the plan, but was wondering what people thought about the option of paying a higher excess for the private hospitals? I don’t want to have too little cover, and yet I don’t want to pay for more than we need! Does everyone struggle with that? My husband and I only attend the GP a couple of times a year, and really the children are about the same so I don't think the day to day cover is of huge importance, but again I appreciate anyone taking the time to give their opinions.
Thanks!

Hi Lemon2000,

Welcome to AAM. The best value for children at the moment is VHI, which has half price offers until 31st October 2017.
Details as follows;
VHI One + Plan; price 148 per child; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess 125 per admission or day case.
Limited day to day - excess for day to day 250 per person on this plan.
[broken link removed]

The following plans are worth considering for the 2 adults;
1. VHI PMI 44 16; price 1112pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess 150 on admission or day case.
Limited day to day cover on this plan. This plan fully covers a private room in a private hospital as before( Be Fit 2.1).

2. VHI PMI 43 16; price 1171pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess 150 per admission, 50 excess per day
case. Good day to day cover included on this plan, 1 euro excess.
[broken link removed]

NOTE; VHI allow children to be insured without an adult if you want, an adult is just named on the policy but only the children are insured.
The following Laya plan is worth considering which has a higher excess for private hospitals. Details as follows;

3. Laya Control 450 Connect; price 971pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech inpatient excess 450 per admission.
Day case excess 125 per visit. Limited day to day cover on this plan. Private room in a private hospital covered on this plan.
[broken link removed]

Good savings to be achieved without compromising on hospital cover.

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks so much, Snowyb. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond, that is a great help!

Back