Insurance question

errigal

Hi

My husband is a named driver on my insurance policy. We currently have 1 car but are thinking of getting a second.

Can we have an identical setup on the 2nd car ? If he was the principal driver his insurance would be significantly higher as he is younger than me, has never had insurance in his own name, etc. So... to keep costs to a minimum would prefer to keep the status quo.

Presume you can but any advice gratefully received.

Thks.

You can insure two cars with alot of companies but the no claims bonus only counts for one policy so its not going to be as cheap as you think.
He may be as well biting the bullet now and building up his own NCB

hi,
yes you can insure both in your own name, however:
- your no claims bonus can only be used on one vehicle at a time - surely it would make more sence to go with your current insurers and put insurance in your husbands name , therefore using the "named driving experience" that he has from being named on your policy. In addition he begins to earn his own No Claims Bonus.

We were in the same position for many years but were forced into getting two cars with the arrival of the little ones. However, our broker/insurance company gave me credit for so many years as a named driver. Basically, I got a full NCB. However, my annual letter at renewal time is the actual number of NC years that I have built up in my own name.

Quinn direct will give your husband a discount for being the named driver on your policy.

Back