Insurance on new- build

onway

When building a new house , is it necessary to take out insurance as soon as the work starts in case of injury to workers or others on-site??

Hi,
this depends on whether you are using a contractor, who should have his own insurance in which case you would only need insurance on the building itself agaionst fire etc (your mortgage comany will probably insist on this).

If you are using individual tradesmen (aka 'direct labour') you will need a policy to cover public liability and employers liability. The most comprehensive policy for this is offered by Hibernian so give them a ring and see what they say

I am not so sure that Hibernian have the most 'comprehensive' policy.

There are other offerings on the market that have subtle differences, including one brokerage that offers a Health & Safety Statement(as you will be an employer) as part of the package.

We are not employing a contractor but hope to get different people to do each part of the job.What do I need to have/not need to have in the policy ??

I was told by my mortgage company that they wouldn't release staged payments to my contractor without buildings insurance. I had to get it even before the footings were dug!

Saying that, used FBD and then altered it to house and contents when the build was finished. Very reasonably priced (both then and now) building only was €180, current hse and contents €300, (with unlimited contents and house insured for €250K)

you should have Employer Liability cover to cover any of the workmen you have on site as you are the Employer.

You should have Public Liability cover to cover non empllyees on site, such as postman, deliverymen, anyone you are bringing on to give quotations for work and believe it or not, any member of the public having a look at the house in course of construction.

You should also have fire and storm cover on the biulding as it is being built. that will protect you in the event of storm or fire damage on the house in course of construction.

you might also like to insure the tools being used/hired in, if your property or being hired in your name.

Please note that any motor vehicles on site, such as JCB, dumper etc should also be insured by the owner under a Motor policy.

Back