Insurance company claim declined

Discussion in 'The Financial Services Ombudsman' started by Sunflower85, 8 Apr 2019.

1. Sunflower85

Sunflower85 New Member

I had to put in a claim on my home insurance first time ever. They declined the claim. I am not happy at all about how it has been handled. On top of the claim being declined they’ve sent me letters which took weeks to arrive due to incorrect postage paid on their side then gave me information which applies to the UK even though I’m in Ireland. Has anyone had any success with turning around a decision by an insurance company when you’ve complained to the ombudsman? Thanks

2. Saavy99

Saavy99 Frequent Poster

If you could give a few scant details on the nature of the claim, it may be helpful. Otherwise there is always the ombudsman.

3. Sunflower85

Sunflower85 New Member

Slightly embarrassing So I hit the side of my house causing structural damage to my home when I was driving into my drive. I have fully comprehensive car insurance and I have my home insurance too. I have made official complaints to both the car and home insurance and have received my final answer. Neither will pay out due to the fact I was driving the car and it hit my home. I’m going to go through the ombudsman next but any advice would be great. Thanks

4. odyssey06

odyssey06 Frequent Poster

Did you have accidental damage cover on your home insurance? If so, it would be important to mention that in your complaint.
    If you didn't have that option, then I can see why home insurance damage was not covered.
    https://www.zurich.ie/home-insurance/faqs/accidental-damage-cover/

Did the motor insurer cover the repairs to your car?

5. SparkRite

SparkRite Frequent Poster

Just a thought, if you have a partner, who has a lien on the house, could they not claim on your motor policy as the injured third party?

odyssey06 likes this.
  6. Sunflower85

Sunflower85 New Member

No accidental cover. When I took out the policy the definition of accidental damage was described as accidental damage within your home such as tv been knocked over and damaged.
    My husband is also home owner on our home and so are our children im not sure he could claim as the third person?

7. Ravima

Ravima Frequent Poster

Your Policy booklet gives the details of what is covered and what is not.

8. Saavy99

Saavy99 Frequent Poster

Try not to worry too much. You would be surprised once the ombudsman gets involved how quickly insurance companies can relent. Also these two insurance companies may well be trying to pass the buck to each other. Please let us know how you get on with this. I am sure you not the first person that this has happened to.

9. Sunflower85

Sunflower85 New Member

Thank you for all the replies will definitely update regarding outcome. My car and home were insured with same company.