Insurance Cert / Taxing Car

jalla

Hi,

Do you need to have the insurance certificate to tax your car ?

Thanks,

J

Not anymore. You do need to provide the insurance policy number and the name of the insurance company (not the broker).

I thought you did need the insurance cert to tax it. Obviously online you don't.

I recently bought a second hand car, and had to send the insurance certificate to tax it, as when I bought it, the tax was up. If you are just renewing your tax, and you get your code on the post to do it online, you don't need to send it by post. Hope this helps.

I can't see anything on www.motortax.ie or Oasis to say that you need to send in your insurance cert either for first taxing of a new car or renewing tax. The only requirement is to give the full details of the insurance policy.

See:

Re the original question: no, you don't actually need to physically bring your insurance cert with you to tax a car. But yes, you do need to have one as you cannot tax a car without having insurance.

I also recently bought a second car, you do not need to send in your insurance cert, just the ins. co name and policy number.
Maybe folk confuse the insurance cert with the vehicle licencing cert which is reqd?

With the online system, you don't need the co or the policy number even if you are asked for it. They have no database of insurance policy numbers. The last time I renewed I typed in some rubbish and got the tax cert in the post! Lovely jubbly!

Budgie said:
With the online system, you don't need the co or the policy number even if you are asked for it. They have no database of insurance policy numbers. The last time I renewed I typed in some rubbish and got the tax cert in the post! Lovely jubbly!

Why would you type in "some rubbish" though? If the car is insured (as required to tax the vehicle) why would anyone submit "bogus" details of their insurer and policy number to the Motor Tax Office? Why not submit the "correct" details, receive the tax disc and lovely jubbly, Bob's your Uncle?

Mainly because I had left the car and cert at home and could not be bothered to get them when I was renewing (at work).

The point is...you don't need the insurance details.

Budgie said:
The point is...you don't need the insurance details.

It certainly appears that you don't (if renewing online).

But here's a thought-why not use the tax renewal process to try and ensure that drivers aren't driving around uninsured (a cost to practically all of us). (Probably a wider issue, so if anybody wants to discuss I'll set up another thread).

Absolutely. I am not arguing that you shouldn't need it. I am arguing that you don't need it because the tax office are too lazy/backward to keep a database.

Not sure if it would stop the scumbags though. They tend not to worry about either when they buy a scrapheap for €50.

Budgie said:
Absolutely. I am not arguing that you shouldn't need it. I am arguing that you don't need it ........

You only need the name of the underwriter and the policy no. to tax online - I have being doing it this way since www.motortax.ie was introduced. Mind you I don't know how you get a policy no. from a broker without paying the premium due - I am fairly certain I never have even when I did change company.

I suspect motortax.ie online will validate you insurance details before posting out your tax disc.

Back