Insulation and BER Cert

imalwayshappy

Hi,

We are building a small extension on to our terraced house. We are going to ask the builder also to dry line the rest of the house at the same time.

After everything is completed we would get a BER assessor to rate the house. This might be a silly question but how will he know that the walls have been insulated by the builder (assuming that the walls will be plastered and painted etc. by the time he comes) or do we need to get him in to view the insulation before the plastering gets done.

Thanks

I

We had our place "cozy boarded" before we moved in on all the external walls.
All our external walls are block so when you knocked on them it was a dead sound & it hurt your knuckles. After the work was done the knocking produced a hollow sound like a plaster cavity wall.

The cozy boards are 58mm thick so the rooms are smaller by that much if you wanted to break out your tape measure. :)

Also if there is a window on the walls being insulated you will see that the lip of the windowsill is protruding by a smaller amount over the wall if you know what I mean.

Get the builder to detail what products they are using, perhaps take a few photos yourself during the process. That will suffice for the BER assessment. The BER assessors enter the property details as best they can into the software, it's not an exact science.

Is there a reason you want a BER? Unless in a situation where you're required to get one such as selling or renting, there might be better approaches to achieve your goal.

Hi,

We are building a small extension on to our terraced house. We are going to ask the builder also to dry line the rest of the house at the same time.

After everything is completed we would get a BER assessor to rate the house. This might be a silly question but how will he know that the walls have been insulated by the builder (assuming that the walls will be plastered and painted etc. by the time he comes) or do we need to get him in to view the insulation before the plastering gets done.

Thanks

I
Not a silly question. ... and this is not a silly answer either. ... but why don't you call a BER assessor and enquire exactly what evidence / proof she or he may require for a correct assessment.

Get the builder to detail what products they are using, perhaps take a few photos yourself during the process. That will suffice for the BER assessment. The BER assessors enter the property details as best they can into the software, it's not an exact science.

Is there a reason you want a BER? Unless in a situation where you're required to get one such as selling or renting, there might be better approaches to achieve your goal.

No - no reason at all. Just want to prevent a situation in the future if I am going for a green loan etc and need to get a BER cert that the assessor wont take into account the insulation because I have no evidence of it.

The BER Assessor will need a letter on company headed paper (digital version is fine) saying exactly what was done.
E.g. 50mm PIR Insulation on all external walls.
Alternatively you can take pictures with a tape measure, of the boards going on the wall, plus the receipt and delivery docket.

We had our place "cozy boarded" before we moved in on all the external walls.
All our external walls are block so when you knocked on them it was a dead sound & it hurt your knuckles. After the work was done the knocking produced a hollow sound like a plaster cavity wall.

The cozy boards are 58mm thick so the rooms are smaller by that much if you wanted to break out your tape measure. :)

Also if there is a window on the walls being insulated you will see that the lip of the windowsill is protruding by a smaller amount over the wall if you know what I mean.
@Horatio How much of a difference did this this make to heat retention in the house can I ask. So if it was a 4/10 before the boards went in where would it be on the scale afterwards? 58mm seems decent enough but I wonder should i go with 80mm - 100mm. Thanks

@Horatio How much of a difference did this this make to heat retention in the house can I ask. So if it was a 4/10 before the boards went in where would it be on the scale afterwards? 58mm seems decent enough but I wonder should i go with 80mm - 100mm. Thanks
I feel it worked well in concert with window & door draft proofing & also spray foaming our attics. I would do it again.

Back