Installation of hardwood floor and underfloor insulation

PMU

I want to replace my current suspended timber floor with a hardwood floor and also to install appropriate underfloor insulation. (Under the current floor there is a void and then mud.) For me the insulation is most important. I’ve read the relevant NSAI standard on energy efficient retrofitting, so I think I know what I need. Most of the web sites I’ve seen focus on supplying and fitting the floor but not on the insulation. So would it be better to get separate contractors? In which case, any recommendations? Or can anyone recommend contractor(s) who can do both the carpentry and install the insulation? (Dublin South area.)

I would imagine it will be easier to find two separate people to do that; a general builder/carpenter for the insulation and any other works required when you lift the floorboards (deal with rot, extra supports etc) then somebody who just lays flooring separately. FWIW I got a few quotes for laying 36sqm semi-solid flooring (glued down) recently, all around €1k.

Have you considered taking out the suspended floor and putting in a concrete floor, possibly with UFH if you were into that? I had some floors poured recently and was surprised how easily/quickly they go down, it was poured bead screed as the insulation layer, then liquid screed a few days later on top. I was planning to use insulation boards, but they are so expensive these days that the bead screed went in cheaper than just the insulation boards!

Reactions: Leo
Some floor fitters may be willing to take on the insulation work. Or if you or someone you know is handy, it's eminently DIY-able. See here for a guide on how to do it.

Back