Other Injury at work - broken back

W

wafema

A couple of days ago my friend was felling trees in a Coillte forest. He was working alongside the man who had employed him to fell the trees. His employer was working the machinery for lifting the felled trees and stacking them.
He dropped a tree while lifting it. It fell onto my friend causing him severe injury. The full extent of his injuries is not fully known but the most urgent right now is his pierced lung, which they have to drain and get inflated again before his other injuries can be dealt with. So far they have informed him that his back is broken in 2 places, he has a broken collar bone and 7 broken ribs. He will require a major operation on his back etc.
Right now he is worrying about money to support his family. Where can we inquire about his entitlements while recovering and what course of action he should take as a result of this.
Your advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please excuse me if I have entered this in the wrong forum.

He would be self employed, contracted by the sub-contractor (who dropped the tree).

If he has been self-employed for some time then he won't be eligible for Illness Benefit as he isn't paying the appropriate PRSI contributions.

The options at the moment are to apply for a means-tested payment:

Supplementary Welfare Allowance as an immediate payment
Disability Allowance as a more long-term payment

Obviously as the injured person can't apply for anything in person at the moment, his spouse/partner can make the application on his behalf.

Contact the SWA Officer who is usually based at the local HSE health centre or at the local SW office.

The family should apply for a medical card from the HSE as soon as a payment is sorted.

Thank you everyone. We will do as you suggest first thing in the morning. My friend was transferred to Dublin yesterday and operated on for his back. They put in 13 pins and 2 steel rods. It is going to be a long haul, but family and friends are relieved he can move. The hospital told him he will never be the same again and it is unlikely he will ever be able to carry out the work he has previously done, but,....he will walk....p.g.

Ask for details of contractors insurance.
A lot of insurance company now when liability is clear cut want to get invovled at early stages to assist(in their benefit to do so for costs)
.... they can offer rehab facilities etc... use their contacts

Obviously a solicitor will need to be consulted

Get well soon to your friend

God that puts things in perspective. I hope your friend makes a speedy recovery. Hopefully the contractor had Employers Liability insurance or at least made reference to a Labor only sub contractor (i.e your friend) under his public liability insurance. As others have said he or someone representing him would probably be best to consult a solicitor.

www.powerinsurances.ie

Back