Inheritance - person died 3.5 years ago and I'm still awaiting funds.

Teddyboy99

Hi I found out in Nov 2019 that I was a residuary beneficiary of friend I'd looked after for many years also I had been left his house.
He passed away in 2018, I was told in Nov21 by the executor who is a solicitor that I would be paid out jan 2022 I have emailed & called him he has answered me & said he is waiting for hmrc to sort tax owed from the estate , I have asked him if he can tell me how much I will recieve & he said he will let me know next week but now that was a month ago.
Can probate take this long 2018 the gentleman passed over 3.5 years ago now.

Presumably this is an inheritance from someone who was living in England or who had assets in England?

If the executor is a UK solicitor, you can likely complain about the delay to the Legal Regulator in the UK. Ask the Solicitor first why the delay. The tax authorities should know fairly promptly of any outstanding liability. If there’s no satisfaction, threaten a complaint and then proceed to lodge one. Google is your friend in this regard.

If the Executor is an Irish solicitor, do as above except the body to whom you may complain is the Legal Services Regulatory Authority. Nearly four years is a long time to be waiting for an estate to be administered.

If the executor is a UK solicitor, you can likely complain about the delay to the Legal Regulator in the UK. Ask the Solicitor first why the delay. The tax authorities should know fairly promptly of any outstanding liability. If there’s no satisfaction, threaten a complaint and then proceed to lodge one. Google is your friend in this regard.
Thank you I will call him & try & speak one more time .
There is a Neice of the gentleman that passed & she had her Inheretance 2 years ago , although this is so fabulous I've been left anything I feel I'd of been more gratefull
to of just recieved it than waiting as I feel I've been kept in the dark by promises.

Back