Inheritance - How long to wait after grant of probate

Rachel Gill

Hi, my uncle died in 2021 and left his estate to all his nieces and nephews. Probate was granted in March 2023 but still no money has been released my uncle who is executor an is saying he doesn't know why its delayed and the solicitors are saying an accountant has to be involved now and fees will be incurred I don't trust my uncle or the solicitors. 2yrs 3mths on and nothing. What advise can I get. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to AAM Rachel, I've moved your post and amended the title to make it more meaningful.

Revenue clearance will have to be applied for before the money can be distributed. This application is necessary so that Revenue can be satisfied that all outstanding tax issues relating to your Uncle's estate have been cleared. I recently received Revenue clearance on my Father's estate and the process took roughly 2 months. My Solicitors advised me to use an accountant to apply for the clearance but as the Executor I did the job myself as it was fairly straight-forward. I'd guess you need to ask your Solicitor whether they have started this Revenue clearance process - if not then the Executor will have to employ an Accountant to do it or the Executor could do it themselves.

I recently completed probate .. it took 3 years, cost 14K in legal fees.
If you want maximum confusion.. leave no will ... leave a property still registered in a deceased parent's name .. pay no property tax ... drink and smoke all your days away, while feuding with the neighbours.

Rant over.

Revenue clearance will have to be applied for before the money can be distributed. This application is necessary so that Revenue can be satisfied that all outstanding tax issues relating to your Uncle's estate have been cleared. I recently received Revenue clearance on my Father's estate and the process took roughly 2 months. My Solicitors advised me to use an accountant to apply for the clearance but as the Executor I did the job myself as it was fairly straight-forward. I'd guess you need to ask your Solicitor whether they have started this Revenue clearance process - if not then the Executor will have to employ an Accountant to do it or the Executor could do it themselves.A

Back