Informing Revenue of self-employed status?

ButtermilkJa

Just a quick question... I left my PAYE job at the end of December just gone and am self-employed from January. Do I have to notify Revenue of this? I registered as a sole trader two years so do I just continue filing my VAT and IT as normal and Revenue will know from this?

Anything useful in the "Starting a business" section of [broken link removed]?

It has some info...
You should advise your district office when you start in business. You can do this by filling in one of the following forms:
  • [broken link removed]
  • [broken link removed]
But I've already sent in the TR1 form when registering as sole trader, but that was two years ago, and now I'm just thinking that maybe I might have to let them know I'm going 'full-time' sole trader now. Maybe not?

I can't see anything else on the revenue site. Might just give them a call.

I do. Well, I should say I did. I feel they overcharged me last year so I'm switching to another guy who was recommended to me. As this will be my first year out on my own I hadn't asked my last accountant about the need to inform Revenue when the time came.

I do. Well, I should say I did. I feel they overcharged me last year so I'm switching to another guy who was recommended to me. As this will be my first year out on my own I hadn't asked my last accountant about the need to inform Revenue when the time came.

There is no need to notify them Buttermilk. Your previous employer will have sent a P45 to tax office letting them know you are not working there anymore. There's no need to do anything else

Back