info wanted on share portfolios in the onset of SSIA

• Thread starter Voodoorasher
  • Start date
V

Voodoorasher

Hi,

Just want to get better acquainted about the above. I've settled on 3 irish company shares that I would like to bung some of my SSIa bounty into. But I'm unclear how a portfolio works as I'm a green horn when it comes to shares. Does it function something like a betting accumulator where everything increments? Or does it work on aggregate gains/losses. Where do I get the best deals to have a portfolio; banks, building societies, etc?

Tell me what you know please and more if you can

If you buy shares then your returns will be dictated by the aggregate performance of the shares. Shop around for the best deal on broker charges. Check the Financial Best Buys forum for some indicative prices. Have a read of the AAM and IFSRA guides to savings & investments which are linked (along with some other generally useful threads) from the key posts thread at the top of this forum.

Your returns will be a function of the amount that you invest in each company. You will have to use a weighted average to figure out the exact return you are making on your overall investment, unless you invest exactly the same amount in each stock, whereby you can get a flat average. It is nothing like an accumulator, at all. Think of it more as buying three different properties. For the cheapest rates on the Iseq I believe Sharewatch are the cheapest but i don't trade with them so I can't tell you anymore about them in terms of service...

Back