Infection will be widespread, so we need to try to slow it down as much as possible

Thirsty

The more we can contain the better.

The odds are we are all going to get this, but the longer it takes to get around the better.

Hospitals struggle with the flu surge every year; need to minimise the number of people who need treatment in a short space of time.

Thats what really worries me, I can take care of myself if I get flu / cold; but the thoughts of seeking urgent medical care when I know what our health care system is like...

The odds are we are all going to get this, but the longer it takes to get around the better.

I don't where or what you are basing those odds on, but I think and hope you are way off.
I don't know, personally, one person who got 'sars', ebola, avian flu, spanish flu etc.

As far as I can remember, I have never had a flu jab and, touch wood, nor have I ever got the flu and I worked
for years in crowded and varied places. Countless colds and sniffles but never full blown influenza.
And I ain't no spring chick.

Last edited:
Reactions: jim
what you are basing those odds on
scientific evidence.

And you'd need to be over 100 years of age to know any one who contracted the so-called 'Spanish Flu'.

We didn't get an outbreak of Ebola because it was successfully contained outside this country.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Last edited:
scientific evidence.

And you'd need to be over 100 years of age to know any one who contracted the so-called 'Spanish Flu'.

We didn't get an outbreak of Ebola because it was successfully contained outside this country.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.
What planning are you doing?

I don't where or what you are basing those odds on, but I think and hope you are way off.
I don't know, personally, one person who got 'sars', ebola, avian flu, spanish flu etc.

As far as I can remember, I have never had a flu jab and, touch wood, nor have I ever got the flu and I worked
for years in crowded and varied places. Countless colds and sniffles but never full blown influenza.
And I ain't no spring chick.
You may well have had a flu virus but didn't get sick. Ebola is easy to diagnose and contain a the incubation period is short.
People can't get Avian Flu but when pigs get it and it mutates with a strain of swine flu it can be deadly; that's what happened in 1918.
Sars just dies out; it turned out not to be a robust virus.

If you are healthy and young(ish) then Covid19 will just be a bad flu but flu kills hundreds of thousands of people every year.

What planning are you doing?
I didn't see this question earlier sorry.

I'm considered to be in a risk group.

The thought of dying by suffication terrifies me to be honest.

I did my stock up of freezer & pantry 10 days ago. I had anticipated schools being closed and made arrangements to remain and work from home for as long as I need to.

Thankfully technology allows a greater social interaction even when isolated.

My understanding is that this 'delay' phase is primarily about trying to slow down the rate of infection more so than trying to stop the spread of infection (that horse has bolted).
The infection is in the community and advice of social distancing is to assist frontline medical workers from being overwhelmed.
We all need to show solidarity with medical workers, and retail staff, the elderly and other high risk patients and refrain from social interaction as much as possible for next couple of weeks.

So the latest in GB is that all people over the age of 70 are going to be asked to self isolate for a minimum of 4 months. Just beginning to wonder where all this is going ??

The odds are we are all going to get this
I don't know where or what you are basing those odds on, but I think and hope you are way off.
scientific evidence.
Sparkrite said:
'scientific evidence' ? Any chance you could give some pointers to this 'evidence' that the odds are we will all get it as you have stated, please?

Ok,@Thirsty, here we a year later with a number of vaccines now available .

At the time I asked for where this 'scientific evidence' could be found, as I seriously doubted your prognostication and felt your statements, presented as fact, could be construed as scaremongering, at a time where a lot of elderly people were frightened.
You never said where.
To date 220,630 cases have been reported in Ireland out of a population of 4,937,786, that equates to less than 5% of the population.

Do you still think "The odds are we are all going to get this" ?

Actually I did respond; but this thread was split off by a moderator. I pointed you to the H1N1 virus, which is now considered to be endemic in populations and the vaccine for which is included in your flu jab.

Cases reflect testing which in turn reflects symptoms.

Asymptomatic people do not, in general, go for testing.

Edit to add; if you like articles to read, you'll find a similar conclusion here

Incidentally I didn't write the title of this thread that was done by a moderator.

Last edited:
Actually I did respond; but this thread was split off by a moderator
I am aware you responded, but not to my question of where was your 'scientific evidence'.

Just like now you have avoided the question I posed:-
Do you still think "The odds are we are all going to get this" ?

Edit to add; if you like articles to read, you'll find a similar conclusion here
I certainly did not find a similar conclusion there ie. "The odds are we are all going to get this"
Incidentally that article you have linked to was written 4 months after your unsubstantiated comment, so most
definitely could not have formed any basis for what you prophetised.

that article you have linked to was written 4 months after your unsubstantiated comment, so most
definitely could not have formed any basis
I don't believe I suggested that it did.

I've answered your previous question. Find someone else to argue with.

Or better still take up knitting, it will do a lot for your stress.

Or better still take up knitting, it will do a lot for your stress.

Unbelievable !
You made an outrageous and unsubstantiated statement on a public forum on the Internet and then take umbridge when it is challenged.
You refuse to answer the question posed above, or even admit that you were mistaken but instead feel the need to resort to puerile and personal
remarks.

A quote attributed to Addison Whithecombe springs to mind :-

"When you resort to attacking the messenger and not the message, you have lost the debate."

Incidentally I didn't write the title of this thread that was done by a moderator.
I wish that the splitting of threads and the changing of titles would stop. It has caused me more confusion, looking around for something that I thought that I had read and then couldn't find.

I wish that the splitting of threads and the changing of titles would stop.

Threads aren't split that often, and only when an important stand-alone topic is raised or a thread is being dragged off-topic. The alternative is to close all threads that start to go off topic, that would benefit no one.

Threads aren't split that often, and only when an important stand-alone topic is raised or a thread is being dragged off-topic. The alternative is to close all threads that start to go off topic, that would benefit no one.
There used to be aa "Split from thread XX" type header when that happened.

There used to be aa "Split from thread XX" type header when that happened.

Yeah, I look at the current options when we have with the current XenForo system and it looks like we no longer have that, the only option is to choose whether to inform the author of posts being moved.

Adding a mod note on the first post is probably a good idea.

From today's Independent:

"Covid-19 transmission levels are so high currently that everyone in the country should consider themselves potentially infectious, Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan said as a record 16,428 cases were confirmed yesterday."

Reference my post from March 2020.

Back