Indoor V's Outdoor oil boiler

sparky78

Was considering installing an indoor grant oil boiler in my utility room but a couple of plumbers I know have advised me against this as they tend to make the room smell of fuel after a few years.
They advised me to go with the outdoor 1 instead as I'm not building a garage at the moment.

anyone any views or experience of this.

Thanks

ya I would go with the outdoor boiler. I have an indoor one in my utility and it does smell a bit. Only disadvantage I can see is if it goes wrong and in weather like this, its not funny trying to fix it

Don't know what a grant boiler is, but my oil-fired boiler is noisy as well as smelly ... far noisier than a gas boiler. I built a boiler house for it so as to have somewhere for a few garden tools etc., but I remember the architect saying that a smaller cheaper weather-proof enclosure was an option too.

I got a Grant (brand) outdoor condensing boiler (cabin pack version) recently.

One thing I did notice is that it often comes on outside of the programmed times. This seems to be a frost protection thing, which is fair enough, however it comes on at a factory set temp of +5 degrees C. Windchill seems to affect it too. Not too delighted as I feel that it is coming on too frequently and for too long, more than I would have thought necessary for frost protection. The upshot is that I am burning oil in the middle of the night when I would prefer not to as I have a well insulated house and there is no need. Maybe this is normal, and maybe its minimal extra consumption, but just something to bear in mind.

Was considering installing an indoor grant oil boiler in my utility room but a couple of plumbers I know have advised me against this as they tend to make the room smell of fuel after a few years.
They advised me to go with the outdoor 1 instead as I'm not building a garage at the moment.

anyone any views or experience of this.

Thanks

I have had both and they both smell in the end - go for gas !!

eamon123456
why dont you fit a indoor timer on boiler so it cant come on , 30e all it will set you back maybe even less . a timer plug and a 3 pin plug .

Yeah I have a timer but the frost protection over-rides that (which makes sense). Not sure if there is much else I can do.

Your plumber is correct, these boilers become smelly after a while, as I write this the utility, kitchen and dining room stink of raw oil as we have a problem with boiler at the moment.

Take the advise, put it outside

Thanks for the reply's.
I think I'll go with the outside 1!!
I wonder how is the noise level from the outside 1?

Back