Individual setting-up ROS a/c: Tax type & reg no. to use??

SClarke

The first step of setting up an onine ROS account requires you to register for a RAN and I've hit a blocker already. I'm an individual /employee of a company and I'm asked two questions, 'tax type' - I select 'income tax' next question is 'registration number', I've tried adding my PPS number as they suggest - doesn't work, also tried my employers tax reg number - doesn't work, keep getting errors out of all combinations I've tried.

I wanted use this service so I can file a form 11, I take it this is the only online route to do this if I'm an individual? Any help would be appreciated here. Thanks.

Error message is: Either the tax type you have entered is not valid for this registration number or you have entered the registration number incorrectly. It can take up to 3 working days for new tax types or registration numbers to fully update so that you can complete this step.Please note that a PAYE registration number is not valid for ROS. ROS services are available for self-assessed taxes, business taxes or reporting obligations.

Thanks T McGibney, I did try this as part of the combinations before too, and also just tried again there after your message - I entered 'PAYE-emp' (only option for paye there) and then entered my pps number for the registration number but same error came up! I'm wondering if i'm right in using the PPS number here? The help info provided by revenue as below 'sorta' says it should be this for the 'registration number' required but it's definitely not working for me.

Your Income Tax, Corporation Tax and Employer Tax registration number has 7 digits with one or two letters at the end. For example either 1234567A or 1234567FA. The tax registration number for individuals is usually the same as their PPS Number.

Have you registered for income tax yet? You need to do that first before you can set up a ROS account.

Have you registered for income tax yet? You need to do that first before you can set up a ROS account.
No, a PAYE taxpayer without an income tax registration can access ROS once they use the PAYE-Ind designation as described above.

@gourab if you are getting the exact same error as original poster, I managed to resolve that by going and registering again for ROS from My Account and generating new Certificate. Now i can see Income Tax returns on the dropdown list after logging in with new Cert. Hope it helps!

Back