VHI Increasing cover while undergoing treatment

Ryan

I have been with VHI all my life and am currently on PMI 08 11. I have been diagnosed with a condition that requires a number of day case procedures but I cant keep paying out the €150 excess for these each time.
With that and the fact that the plan covers less than half of the cost of my Consultant visits its just not suitable for my needs. How would increasing my cover impact on current treatment and pre-existing conditions?

Sorry about the late response.

My renewal is 1st February 2018. I started a new Job earlier this year and PMI 08 11 was theone subsidised by the company but it just doesn't meet my needs.

The thing about insurance is that it is what is called a contract of the 'utmost good faith', meaning that you are required to disclose all the relevant facts to the insurance company, even if they don't ask you. An existing diagnosis is one of those facts. I doubt the insurance company will be willing to extend coverage for a certain loss.

You need to be very careful not to do anything that would render the cover you have invalid. Extending the coverage and following that with a claim would be a red flag for the loss adjusters and the underwriters.

Ryan,

Unfortunately, VHI is the only company that don't allow you to change policy during the year. If it was Irish Life or Laya, you could change
plans at any time. So, you are locked into a year contract, unless the company you work for have any special terms and conditions that
allow otherwise. It may be worth your while checking this out with your HR dept, to see if any flexibility arrangement is included.

In saying that, even if you could change plans, the 2 year upgrade rule would apply for pre-existing conditions.
This 2 year wait would apply to any lower excesses or no excess on a new plan, only for pre-existing illnesses.

There would be no waiting for increased day to day expenses if you are under 50 years of age.

You're right, the cover on PMI 08 11 is not great for the cost of this plan.

Snowyb

Back