Incorrect (?) planning notice

S

sluice44

I live in a terrace of approx 15 houses that have very long back gardens. A developer has bought the first house and back gardens of the two neighbouring gardens. He plans to build 8 townhouses on the site.

He's put a planning notice in the window of the house he owns but the address is given as 'number 1, ABC street....' He doesn't give the addresses of the other two houses/back gardens.

Is this planning notice invalid because he hasn't mentioned the other two properties?

Sluice

Hi,

This link might provide some useful info.

It would appear from same that the 'Chief Officer' in your local planning authority receives appeals etc. so your best bet is to either call in or make a call to them.

I know that they definitely send an inspector out to check the notice.

Hope this helps. :)

planning notice

It is certainly misleading. I understand notification of any development has to be strictly accurate, must be posted prominently where foot-travellers can read it, and must apply to the development in question (i.e. someone whose planning application for a double garage can't pin up his other application for a dormer). You are making the point that yourself and residents of the terrace will be adversely affected by this neighbour's development but that his Notice does not represent this so neighbours are not properly informed. It doesn't sound legally appropriate.

The window for objecting is relatively short and you wouldn't want to waste it by debating the technicalities which the developer could easily overcome in any event.

If you have an objection to the substantive elements of the development, I'd be inclined to make it now and argue about the finer points of the notice itself at some stage in the future.

Attempting to object after permission has been granted is a far more problematic affair and best avoided if at all possible.

Re: ..

If the notice is incorrect, then pointing this out to the local authority will buy you some time, but that is all. If this is the case they developer will be required to have a corrected notice in place for the relevant period again. It is worth doing since, as you say, other neighbours may not be aware of the scale of the development and may only think it applies to the one property.

It is worth noting that if the area is reasonably well served from transport and other perspectives, the local authority is likely to want this type of development, so you may face defeat in the long run, but you may as well make submissions regarding the nature of the development while the planners are in a position to impose conditions.

z

Thanks zag (and everyone else)
It's an interesting point you raise.

It's a rural town far from Dublin (pop. 7,000). The last council development plan (upto 2003?) stated that the town council don't have that many people on the housing waiting list and they own enough land anyway. But, they would like developers to develop brownfield sites inside the town. This isn't really a brownfield site - it's 3 back gardens!

It'll be interesting to see which way they lean. They don't have a great track record. Several of the local planners have been 'disciplined' for helping locals draw up plans for submission (here's one I drew earlier for money - accept/reject???). Also a developer built an apartment block and was supposed to paint it regularly. He didn't and all the council did was send him letters; very stern letters, mind you.

Anyway, hope to visit planning office on Friday (they only open for a couple of hours a day) and get the low down.

Sluice

A digital photograph of the planning notice with the date or today's newspaper would be useful evidence if you are objecting to the development. The notice must be completely accurate or it is not valid.

Hi all,
I visited the planning office last Friday. I mentioned that the site notice only referred to no.1 instead of no.1,2,3. An official (I think she was a planner) said the application was 'validated' and ok although I could make observations until next Friday.

Apparently the planner was ill so the acting town clerk went out and 'validated' the application. There are many other reasons why the application can/should be rejected. We'll see what happens...

Sluice

validation

The site address is incorrect for god's sake, it MUST be invalidated.

In your objection, make sure to point that out.

Back