Income Protection

BPM

Currently interested in starting an income protection plan in the not too distant future through Frends First or Irish Life,but cannot decide whom to go with.

All advice above would be appreciated

Doesn't it really come down to the terms & conditions of the policy document and the premium charged rather than just one brand/company over another?

Great thinking BPM.. But my understanding is that you shoudnt stick to any particular company if you are not quite aware of their policies. Shop around the companies and that will help you to save some euro.

heard on the radio last week that co's pay out only after 16weeks of time out.is this true??

X-Man said:
heard on the radio last week that co's pay out only after 16weeks of time out.is this true??

The deferred period will typically be either 13, 26 or 52 weeks. Other things being equal the shorter the deferred period ( ie the sooner you start drawing down the replacement income) the greater will be the premium you pay.

demoivre said:
The deferred period will typically be either 13, 26 or 52 weeks. Other things being equal the shorter the deferred period ( ie the sooner you start drawing down the replacement income) the greater will be the premium you pay.

so after this period of "WAITING" do you get back-pay or does the first payment start after x period with x amount.

personally i think IP is a catch and a loss of money

X-Man said:
personally i think IP is a catch and a loss of money
Most insurance is a "waste of money" in that you pay for a service that you often don't need to benefit from. That's what insurance is all about - risk assessment, covering the worst case scenario, paying for peace of mind etc. It's not about paying over a sum of money in premiums on the assumption that you will eventually get it back in payouts. People considering income protection (or any insurance for that matter) need to first assess their risk profile and then make a call on whether or not they actually need it. In the case if IP individuals should take into account their welfare benefits (Jobseekers' Allowance etc.), other benefits (statutory and non-statutory redundancy payments), savings/investments etc. and consider whether or not they really need insurance to cover loss of income. In some cases PHI (Permanent Health Insurance) rather than IP might be more appropriate. In some cases no insurance might be the most appropriate choice - e.g. especially for single people with no dependents and their own house. As ever read the terms & conditions of the specific policy document in detail and assess different policies on these criteria and not just price.

PHI, IP, and salary continuance are buzz words for the same cover afaik.

The market is very narrow too. About 4 competitive on group risk, and only 2 offering individual policies.

Thanks for all advice.

Why I am so interested in I.P is from the experience a work colleague had to go through when he broke a leg late last year and was off work for four months.

He got paid for 20 sick days leave (agreed by company) and then onto social welfare as per norm.

He has lost out on his Qtrly bonus,had to take out a loan for monthly mortgage repayments etc and now last week was informed his BIK for 05 re company car maybe an issue as car was lying idle for the four months

ILAC do not offer guaranteed premiums. They are reviewable and may increase.
F.F. have been doing this kind of business well and profitably for many years in my experience, and have the best and longest claims paying record.

3 different names for exactly the same type of cover.

There will be subtle differences between competing insurers contacts however.

Back