Incapacitated Child Benefit

If you are referring to the tax credit, see here:
It's very broad, not condition specific and requires professional sign off.

The idea is that it’s for children who are so incapacitated they likely won’t lead a normal adult life.

The idea is that it’s for children who are so incapacitated they likely won’t lead a normal adult life.
Bit of a pickle with certain heart conditions. You're palliative care for life and told to live as normal as possible but it's simply not the truth. Your life is numbered and different from day 1 and will never be normal. That's incapacitated whether it's til you're 8 or 48. These kids cost more money than others and doctors don't want to sign off on it cause the kid might end up working. Why the fup has that anything to do with bringing up an incapacitated child who spends a serious amount of time in intensive care and all sorts of other care.

A credit like this shouldn't be so broad yet limited and rely on rattled professionals to sign off.

Bit of a pickle with certain heart conditions. You're palliative care for life and told to live as normal as possible but it's simply not the truth. Your life is numbered and different from day 1 and will never be normal. That's incapacitated whether it's til you're 8 or 48. These kids cost more money than others and doctors don't want to sign off on it cause the kid might end up working. Why the fup has that anything to do with bringing up an incapacitated child who spends a serious amount of time in intensive care and all sorts of other care.

A credit like this shouldn't be so broad yet limited and rely on rattled professionals to sign off.

It needs some sign off to ensure there is no abuse of the system. It is an a odd one as it has to be based on the 'expectation' that the child will not be able to support themselves in the future - so the assessment has to be based on the best information at the time. With some 'incapacitating illnesses' there can be a dramatic improvement after a period of time. One of our children received the allowance based on the criteria set out and following sign off by a doctor. Luckily and unexpectedly he made a big improvement after a period of about five years. We advised revenue and he was taken off the allowance - there was no come back on the doctor in that scenario - things change.

In any case if the person is able to support themselves revenue will know that anyway eventually through the tax system

Do you mind me asking what a doctor needs to supply to apply for this? My teenage son is autistic (just diagnosed). He has severe anxiety and while there's a lot he can do independently, I'm concernee that he wont be able to fully take care of himself in the future.
I have been advised to apply for DA and also this tax credit. Amy guidance appreciated.

Back