Importing from UK to resell in Eire

N

newbie123

hi,
I am completly new to this so just a quick question about what is involved if i wish to start importing goods (specifically sports accessories) from the UK in order to re-sell them here in the Irish market???
Do i need to set up a company (Ltd) or can I just register as a sole trader and pay the necessary import taxes???

Is there a website that can guide you through the necessary steps involved in going about this and how much the setup will cost????

Many thanks

Firstly, you can set yourself up as a limited company or a sole trader. Given the fact that you are only starting off (and for a myriad of other reasons) you should register as a sole trader. To do this you will go to the revenue website www.revenue.ie go to forms/registration and select the TR1 form and fill it out. You'll need to decide are you going to register for VAT (based on turnover - sale of goods above €51,000 (this figure might have increased in the last budget) in a year means you must be registered). You'll want to register for VAT in order to avoid paying UK VAT to your supplier.

See www.basis.ie for more information. You can also search the forums here for further information.

I don't know what you mean by import taxes. If you are importing from the UK there are no import taxes.

Regards,

Past30

Last edited:
dont forget that you will also need to register with the CRO if you will be trading as a sole trader under a name that is not your own name.....

most brand names wont touch you, they will just give you the name of their contact in ireland and you buy the products from them. If you could buy straight from them there would be no need for Irish wholesellers.

Back