Imported Coca-Cola

J

jister

I'm sure most people are aware that a lot of shops are now sourcing their Coca-Cola from bottling plants outside Ireland for much less than they buy it off the Irish bottling plant.

I was in a shop recently and they were doing a special offer 2 cans for €1 and when I checked it was the imported stuff. I bought it and it tasted fine.

However, last night in a different shop they charged me €1.30 for a 500ml bottle, and when I got home it was the imported stuff, again it tasted fine.

My viewpoint on this is that if a shop is buying it for less than the standard price then they should pass it on to the customer at a discount, otherwise we are being ripped off.

What does the forum think?

My viewpoint on this is that if a shop is buying it for less than the standard price then they should pass it on to the customer at a discount, otherwise we are being ripped off.

In my opinion ... a retailer can charge what they want and if the consumer pays it then they can't blame anybody but themselves for being ripped off unless there is a cartel or price fixing going on.

pharmacy grey market?

Having had to obtain some prescription medicine (Augmentin Duo) in a pharmacy a few weeks back, I was surprised to see the bulk of the lettering on the box was in an alphabet I didn't even recognise. It might have been Greek but more likely an eastern european, Cyrillic type lettering.
I dont recall there being an instruction leaflet inside but I could be wrong.
The 12 GlaxoSmithKline tablets cost approx €30. Would I be right in my assumption that these tablets were probably bought wholesale from a cheaper source than local wholesalers?
Does anyone know how much 12 Augmentin Duo costs anyway?

Coca Cola

Yeah, I noticed this with the Coca-Cola. I went to the local chipper and got a bottle of coke with my chips. When I was drinking it, it tasted a bit different than normal. Then i started reading the label and noticed that the label was all in russian. If people are bringing in bottles of coke from Russia, then they should only be for their own consumption. There are not supposed to sell it onto the general public?????

cola

Your local chipper probably bought from a wholesaler that sourced the cola from Russia.

Nothing wrong with this, as long as all trade rules have been kept.

Re: cola

Ash - ring a few pharmacies and ask for the price. I did this last week for a bit of research and only one of the 10 or so that I called had any sort of problem with giving the price out.

Of course, there shouldn't be any problem at all - it's just asking for a price. This particular guy wanted to stick all my details onto his database and I told him that I just wanted a price. He gave me the price once I explained to him.

On the subject of the non-English instructions I would imagine that this is a serious issue. You should have a look again for them - I doubt very much that pharmacists are allowed sell prescription medication (or even non prescription medication for that matter) without including a set of instructions. They might get thrown out 95% of the time by people but they are there for a reason - like telling you not to take it if taking certain other medication. Not much good if the warnings are in cyrillic.

On the coke front - in a free market why shouldn't someone be allowed to buy product wherever he likes and sell it wherever he likes ? It's not as if fizzy drinks are licensed (by the state) or unduly dangerous. If the manufacturing or distribution company here has a problem about its brand being diluted with *equivalent* branded product they should take it up with the worldwide company, not with someone who is (presumably) legally importing the stuff.

In work we buy branded IT equipment which was manufactured for the Far Eastern market. Does exactly the same as the box beside it which was destined for the European market at a far higher price. It's called the grey market and is perfectly legitimate.

z

In Valuland in Drogheda today. eight x 2ltrs coke €5 beat that.

€5 for 8 x 2 - lites

€5 for 8 2 litre bottles is pretty impressive, I assume its the imported stuff?

My friend is a sales rep. for Coke. He told me its perfectly legal and the quality is the same. The only thing the customer misses out on is promotions being run by Coca Cola Ireland.

L.A. What sort of price do they have on 7 Up ( non diet ) ?

la: Coke have a big plant in Drogheda, dont they?

Back