Importance of car colour for subsequent resale value?

hullabaloo

Hi,

This is one for conversation rather than a serious query.

I'm considering buying a new Passat. I don't mind what colour it is - the range of colours available isn't exactly daring (silver, black, dark red, artic blue, beige etc.).

So my question is are there certain colours of car that you would never buy? Looking around, I suspect that silver, black or blue are generally more appealing tyo the majority. For example would you be put off buying a used car just because its green?

Thanks.

White, yellow and cream variants are big no nos. I know someone who works for a (former) healthboard who always buys a white car (white is often a special order, not standard with many makers) as this person often makes housecalls in dodgy areas and they reckon a white anonymous car is less attractive to vandals/ neer-do-wells. Red and yellow can fade badly over time with exposure to the sun (in fact any red or yellow paint weather poorly), there is a technical term for this phenomenon, but it eludes me. Yet red is popular, although I think metallic colours are less susceptible to this effect.

i think so... few years ago, i had a car which was gold in color. Took me ages to sell it.

There are colours you can buy that are quite femenine so buying a car in one of those colours will cut the number of people who will buy your car second hand by well over a half (men and couples where the car is to be shared).

It can make a big difference.

White Mercs. are notoriously slow and bad sellers for example.

Silver is very popular these days.

Avoid anything too "trendy" like the plague :D

Well when i was looking to buy a new car last year i was looking at the Opel Astra and in 2 garages i was offered one in whats called the garda blue colour for a nice lil bit less then what they were looking for black silver and red ones as the blue colour was not a popular one. So yeah from that im guessing colour really does matter in selling your car on. Plus for superstisios people - Green is a no no. Green is apperently a bad look colour to have in a car or so i have been told! Iv avoided ever owning a green car myself sad i know but i dout im the only one :)

green was considered bad as on country roads years ago with heavy greenery you could not see the car!

You will never sell a white car second hand for anything like a decent price.

The bigger the car the bigger the problem.

According to a car dealer pal of mine, green cars are still amongst some of the hardest to shift - it is considered unlucky, funnily enough. He mentioned that silver, black, navy, red and blue are easily the most popular colours as many people feel that they look more expensive...(!)

I suppose you should also bear in mind that darker colours like black and navy show the dirt more easily....

I always like the Dude's description of his stolen car in The Big Lebowski:

"[size=-1]Green. Some brown, or, uh, rust, coloration."

[/size]
[size=-1]:)
[/size]

Back