Immersion Switch

Ryan

Our mid 90s 4 bed Semi has just an On/Off switch for the immersion heater. Is this standard or is there a more efficient system?

Our mid 90s 4 bed Semi has just an On/Off switch for the immersion heater. Is this standard or is there a more efficient system?

I would have thought most immersion switches would have a second switch beside that for "basin/shower" OR "bath". There are 2 coils ( I think ) in such a cylinder. The smaller coil if you just want to heat enough water for a basin or shower. The longer coil which heats the whole tank would be for a bath.

That would be more efficient as you could choose the quantity of water to heat. Maybe ask a plumber or phone a plumbing supplies shop.

I have a 1990 house and it has only an on/off for immersion, there are no coils in the cylinder, there is a little tube like thing at the side of cylinder attached to it which is the immersion, maybe it's one of those type? Leave on briefly and I get enough for sink full, leave on longer and I get a tank full.

is that your only method of heating water or can you use the heating system as well?

we have an immersion but literally never use it, as it's cheaper to use gas.

If it's only an on/off switch, then you've only got a single element. That's all mine has, and all my cylinder was designed for.

I replaced it with a timer switch so I can set it to come on for specific times. No more forgetting to turn it off.

You can also replace the switch with a one hour boost button so you can run it ad-hoc or as previous poster said on a set time schedule......

Or you could just save your money by not buying any gadget(s) and just turn it on/off as needed. :)

this may sound like sacrilege, but if your cylinder is pre-insulated, you're probably as well just leaving the immersion on (unless your going away for a while).

this may sound like sacrilege, but if your cylinder is pre-insulated, you're probably as well just leaving the immersion on (unless your going away for a while).
Sounds foolhardy, unless said cylinder is contained in a vacuum.

If it is a whole house there are many ways to provide ample cheaper heated hot water, solar thermal, gas or heat pumps.

Back