Illness or jobseekers benefit

horse7

Advice please, my friends is 60 plus and was working as a Health care assistant until recently. She has injured her shoulder and is at an age where she doesn't want to continue working . Can she get a doctor cert and apply for illness benefits and eventually apply for JSB. Or should she apply for JSB.

1. Did she injure her shoulder as a result of what happened at work?
2. I've never seen a situation where an employer refused to accept a medical certificate from a doctor.
3. There is no stopping her from applying for Illness Benefit.
4. An appointment with the Medical Officer of her employer might have a recommendation of "Early Retirment" from the doctor. (Therefore, the possibility of added service for pension purposes).
5. If the accident happened at work a trip to a good solicitor might prove fruitful.
6. I don't know what JSB means.

Hi horse.

Please edit the title of your post in line with the Posting Guidelines, otherwise the thread will be deleted.

Brendan

The injury is the result of age and type of job, its a very physical job and at her age she feels her body can no longer sustain what the job requires. She intends getting a GP cert and illness benefit. She thinks this is her next step. If and when her illness benefit runs out can she apply for jobseekers benefit. She has sufficient prsi for this. Is she better off getting illness benefit or applying for JSB, She is looking for another job but at 63 she is not hopeful that she will secure one.

she doesn't want to continue working

While I have sympathy for your friends predicament, Illness benefit / JSB etc was never intended to be used as early retirement payouts. These are suppose to be for genuine cases. If your friend falls into that category, then she will be assessed for this.

Back