Illness Benefit - How does one get through to their service?

LostinPhilly1

Hi all,

So, I was off sick for two weeks at the end of February. I submitted my illness benefit application during those two weeks via MyGovID.ie and roughly two weeks later, they chased me for the certificate of incapacity which I sent in hard copy to their services. I never heard back and when I checked my application on MyGovID.ie, it went from "under review" to "no ongoing claim". There is no payment in the payment history tab either.

I have tried ringing them on numerous occasions and I am met with an automated message saying they are too busy, then the call drops. I tried sending them emails and those went unanswered too.

I'm honestly at loss here because my employer deducted the illness benefit from my last salary and now I'm out of the money on both ends.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Last edited:
It would appear because of Covid delays that the only way to speak to them is to travel to your local Intreo office which would probably entail taking time off work and that may not even work either. Phoning and e-mailing does not appear to work at the moment.

I'm beginning to wonder what is the purpose me of paying my taxes if I can't get a hold of them to discuss a money I'm legitimately due. I had never taken a sick leave before. I'm giving them another week and see what happens.

What worries me is the fact that the application went from "under review" to completely disappearing from the portal. I hope they didn't discard it.

Last edited:
certificate of incapacity which I sent in hard copy to their services.

Perhaps they didn't receive the hard copy and therefore changed the claim to 'no ongoing claim'. Might be worth your while to send another copy if soft copy option is possible.

Perhaps they didn't receive the hard copy and therefore changed the claim to 'no ongoing claim'. Might be worth your while to send another copy if soft copy option is possible.
That's what I'm afraid of indeed. In my initial email + chaser, I specifically stated the certificate was sent and asked whether they received it. No response.

I sent the original via mail. I will try to send a soft copy again via email today and follow up with a copy via registered mail this time.

Back