IKEA kitchen

guido

Hi,

Looking for some help please. Has anybody bought an IKEA kitchen? If so, did you use your own installer? And did it work out ok? Considering buying an IKEA kitchen but their costs of installation are over double that of a recommended kitchen installer

Any help greatly appreciated
Cheers

You might get some help from previous threads on this subject

When on holidays I have seen some what appeared to be foil wrapped doors when the foil was lifting off the doors in a bad way from the steam from the cooker even where there was a cooker hood. That was some years ago so maybe they have sorted this problem out by now.

How about checking out either The Panelling Centre who have recommended fitters or Cash and Carry Kitchens.

I've installed IKEA wardrobes, dining room cabinets, and a B&Q kitchen.

My advice, for what it's worth....
To get it right, and look good, there is a LOT of planning. It makes me appreciate the amount of work kitchen installers do. Every kitchen is different and getting all the various units, countertops, kicker boards etc. to fit is a task in itself. That is why there are dedicated staff in B&Q who's job it is to sit down with you and plan your kitchen.

I enjoy the process, but if you don't, be aware that it will get frustrating, and can't be avoided. It is a lot easier with an expert sitting with you. I don't know if IKEA provide this service, but the likes of B&Q etc. do.

Also with the IKEA units, because they have to be built to accommodate all types of walls (block, stud, etc.) then they come with a raft of fittings and adjustments. Similar with all door hinges. They are all adjustable in 3 dimensions, and used correctly, make the difference between the finished product looking good and looking thrown together.

And while all types of fittings are standard enough, there are differences between manufacturers/suppliers (C&C, B&Q, IKEA). So, someone who is familiar with IKEA assembly will do a faster job (and probably better) than someone who is not.

Quality wise, they are fine. The IKEA units don't get much rough wear, and hold up fine. I don't know about a kitchen. I doubt they would last as well as higher end kitchens e.g. Remp, but then you are getting what you pay for. Maybe you're the sort of person who wants to change your kitchen every 5 years, or who lives alone and will be easy on a kitchen.

The B&Q units are similar, I have it installed in the utility room and they are holding up OK. Same quality caveat applies as the IKEA.

I'd suggest, as Sue Ellen does, going to B&Q, Cash & Carry, and The Panelling Centre with your kitchen dimensions. See if you like the styles they have and sit down to see what they will design for you. Then look at the overall cost for supply and fitting, by their recommended installer.

The other advantage of using a recommended installer is that they should take more time in satisfying your requirements as they have a closer connection with the kitchen supplier, and you have better comeback if anything goes wrong. If you use your own supplier and the cooker hood breaks down, or a door falls off its hinges, the supplier can claim it was the fitter who caused the issue.

When on holidays I have seen some what appeared to be foil wrapped doors when the foil was lifting off the doors in a bad way from the steam from the cooker even where there was a cooker hood. That was some years ago so maybe they have sorted this problem out by now.

How about checking out either The Panelling Centre who have recommended fitters or Cash and Carry Kitchens.

Thanks Sue Ellen - will have a look - Thanks for the advice

To get it right, and look good, there is a LOT of planning. It makes me appreciate the amount of work kitchen installers do. Every kitchen is different and getting all the various units, countertops, kicker boards etc. to fit is a task in itself. That is why there are dedicated staff in B&Q who's job it is to sit down with you and plan your kitchen.

I enjoy the process, but if you don't, be aware that it will get frustrating, and can't be avoided. It is a lot easier with an expert sitting with you. I don't know if IKEA provide this service, but the likes of B&Q etc. do.

Also with the IKEA units, because they have to be built to accommodate all types of walls (block, stud, etc.) then they come with a raft of fittings and adjustments. Similar with all door hinges. They are all adjustable in 3 dimensions, and used correctly, make the difference between the finished product looking good and looking thrown together.

And while all types of fittings are standard enough, there are differences between manufacturers/suppliers (C&C, B&Q, IKEA). So, someone who is familiar with IKEA assembly will do a faster job (and probably better) than someone who is not.

Quality wise, they are fine. The IKEA units don't get much rough wear, and hold up fine. I don't know about a kitchen. I doubt they would last as well as higher end kitchens e.g. Remp, but then you are getting what you pay for. Maybe you're the sort of person who wants to change your kitchen every 5 years, or who lives alone and will be easy on a kitchen.

The B&Q units are similar, I have it installed in the utility room and they are holding up OK. Same quality caveat applies as the IKEA.

I'd suggest, as Sue Ellen does, going to B&Q, Cash & Carry, and The Panelling Centre with your kitchen dimensions. See if you like the styles they have and sit down to see what they will design for you. Then look at the overall cost for supply and fitting, by their recommended installer.

The other advantage of using a recommended installer is that they should take more time in satisfying your requirements as they have a closer connection with the kitchen supplier, and you have better comeback if anything goes wrong. If you use your own supplier and the cooker hood breaks down, or a door falls off its hinges, the supplier can claim it was the fitter who caused the issue.
Thanks for that

Thanks for that Buddyboy - yes a lot of considerations. Yes, they have kitchen planners in Ikea too and we have met with them in the store and remotely. Take your point though about the IKEA fitters as they would be more familiar; would also like to hear from somebody who went through the whole process with IKEA (full package with fitters) or those who purchased in IKEA and had their own fitter (sort of a review) - I have heard before about the dimensions and the depth of the units....Thanks again for the comprehensive reply

I bought IKEA units (12 or so, all upper units) for a replacement of a small kitchen in our former apartment, and then advertised on tradesmen.ie for fitters. I specifically said it was an IKEA kitchen. I accepted a certain company for the job, but had a pretty crappy experience...
The two (Irish) lads spent a fair bit of time bitching about having to get familiar with the instructions and having to assemble the units, and how it would be so much easier (for them) to build them from scratch. They damaged a couple of the units during assembly, and I had to constantly direct them where things were to go. They wouldn't look at the plan, I had to interpret it for them. They used incorrect fittings for mounting the suspension railing to the wall, as I discovered when some came loose later and I had to replace them. They didn't cut the suspension railing correctly so an inch was left sticking out...
I had designed two vertical rows of cabinets. Now, walls are never completely flat and so the two rows - as they left them - were not flush, one above each other. Our building manager subsequently came and sorted them out for me with brute strength and his trusty drill and screws.
I had no qualms with the units in service, BTW. They looked exactly the same on the day we moved out as when they had gone up. One trick with all these ones is to make sure you aren't steaming them with the kettle - they won't like that! - and aren't wet for any amount of time.
I'd be perfectly happy to use IKEA again so I'm very interested to see what the IKEA fitters were like. As you say, they will be twice the price... BUT I'd certainly be prepared to pay that if they are worth the money!

Last edited:
Sorry haven’t been on here in a good while! Yes we got on well - delighted with the final result. A few problems with parts but minor given the shortage due to the pandemic etc., The ikea order system is a bit all over the place - automated texts sent and the local shop has no idea and no control over these - that piece is a bit frustrating to say the least - a lot of wasted time on phone calls / listening to the abba soundtrack for wait music! Empty promises re parts tbh and dates moved just as you are ready to receive! We used Ikeas installers - well their contractors - nice bunch of lads. Their boss wasn’t very open to query though! We were put off using our own fitter as the ikea cabinet dimensions are different etc., So overall a good experience as in we are happy with the final fitted kitchen but the end to end experience is a bit disjointed and affects the overall buying experience!

Back