If yields are too low to buy, are they not also too low to stay in?

roland

I always wonder about the 'warnings' people give these days about rental yields being very low (which by any normal benchmark they are), and hence 'buyer beware' given current prices. However, should the same advice not apply to anyone who currently owns a property and is renting it, to the extent that they too are experiencing the same yields? I ask this because I always get a sense that people who own properties already seem to give across the impression that 'well, we probably got lucky getting in early, but it probably doesn't make sense to buy in now.' Does that make any sense? I understand there are costs of buying and selling, but that doesn't change the yield hugely.

roland said:
I always wonder about the 'warnings' people give these days about rental yields being very low (which by any normal benchmark they are), and hence 'buyer beware' given current prices. However, should the same advice not apply to anyone who currently owns a property and is renting it, to the extent that they too are experiencing the same yields? I ask this because I always get a sense that people who own properties already seem to give across the impression that 'well, we probably got lucky getting in early, but it probably doesn't make sense to buy in now.' Does that make any sense? I understand there are costs of buying and selling, but that doesn't change the yield hugely.

Eh,no.Say you bought a property 4/5 years ago and your mortgage is say e650pm all in but the rent is e1,100pm then obviously your laughing,yes the property may have gone up in significant value,but's thats not why your there.
Now look at today,you get an interest only mortgage say e900pm if your lucky you get 1100pm add in all the extra costs and your really only gambling on capital appreciation,scary stuff when it dawns on all the people at the same time.

Thewatcher, I think you are missing my point. Surely, comparing rent to mortgage payments is like comparing apples and oranges. Rent is only part your return. Your mortgage payment is only part of what you are having to forego on the investment.

Let's bring it to an extreme. Say you have no mortgage. By your logic, you're 'laughing'. And so you might be. But however much you are laughing, then are you not still bound to ask yourself if the return you are getting on your property is a good one?

Your income (through rent) is probably not even 3% of the current property value. After all expenses and vacancy periods, it's probably 2%. After tax it's getting down below 2%. So, you have an investment that is giving you an income of less than 2%. So far you are not laughing at all, as you could put the whole lot in rabobank and get 3.35%, with no risk or landlord-duties at all! So, therefore are you too not 'gambling on capital appreciation' in order to get a higher return? You need at least 1.35% per annum capital appreciation in order to match the 'hassle-free' 'gamble-free' returns from, say, rabobank or northern rock. You really need a bit more than that to reward you for the time you spend on the bloody thing - getting tenants, cleaning, repairs, accounts etc. And you probably need a fair bit more to compensate you for the 'gambling' you are engaged in, as you are still invested in property!

This is my point. Hope I am being clear?

So, back to my initial question then, are the same questions new owners are asking themselves, not being asked by existing owners?

Yes, your argument is valid.

I suspect people aren't selling en-masse because:
- property is part of a balanced portfolio. 2% is ok, they don't expect a major crash and over the long term still some capital growth.
or
- property is the only form of investment they understand

Hi Roland

I don't think you're using the correct metrics in your example. Yields are a snapshot taken at a point in time i.e. what would the current rental return be as a percentage of the current market value of the asset. This would play a useful role in deciding if one should consider buying the asset at today's value. It is also useful in making broad comparisons with other assets. However, yields are like a back of the envelope method of seeing if an asset looks to be in the right ball park. They are far too basic to give a detailed understanding of the quality of an investment. The main calculation used by many investors is return on investment (ROI) i.e. the annual return achieved by the amount invested. If we take an example of a property valued five years ago at 300k and (say) valued at 600k in todays market. The original owner may have paid down 30k and at today's point of sale is earning 14k gross and about 1.5k net (i.e. after loan and expenses but before tax) rent per annum. Then his ROI in the year of the sale would be about 5% per annum + annaul capital appreciation. If the person buying is paying down 60k and contributing about 8k to the asset per year then his ROI would be -13% per annum + anticipated capital appreciation.

Therefore, the picture is very different for the two investors. Mr A is earning 5% net per year and has built up equity of about 300k. Mr B is contributing 13% per year to the asset and hoping (and perhaps praying)that capital appreciation will make the difference. If either is smiling about their investment then it should be fairly obvious which one. Also, it should be clear who is more susceptible to interest rate increases, house price reductions and falling rents.

Sometimes when an investor looks at their portfolio they may decide that they can make it work harder for them. They may decide to cash in the equity (through selling or refinancing) as they feel they could invest it to generate additional or higher yields elsewhere. In this case the current market value would play an important part in the decision.

You`re right in many ways regarding the yields with certain properties. I suppose you could approach it on an individual basis. If I had an existing property I would be much happier making 3% on this property that if it is in a solid area (D2, D4 D6) which will be more insulated from serious drops in the overvalued market rather than 3.5% in an area (Sandyford) where prices are even more artifically high due to recently developed amenities. (Sorry to Sandyforders nothing personal!)) At least you can be (somewhat) confident of at the very least retained prices and probable growth due to restricted demand, especially in low turnover areas . Appreciation of >3%-4% a year in the long term is I think reasonable and coupled with the rent it remains a satisfactory investment.

From other people I hear arguments all the time about "you cant rely on appreciation" but you cant rely on for e.g. non-capital guaranteed bonds or funds retaining value either. Its all part of the gamble I guess.

You`re right in many ways regarding the yields with certain properties. I suppose you could approach it on an individual basis. If I had an existing property I would be much happier making 3% on this property that if it is in a solid area (D2, D4 D6) which will be more insulated from serious drops in the overvalued market rather than 3.5% in an area (Sandyford) where prices are artifically high due to recently developed amenities. (Sorry to Sandyforders nothing personal!)) At least you can be (somewhat) confident of at the very least retained prices and probable growth due to restricted demand, especially in low turnover areas . Appreciation of >3%-4% a year in the long term is I think reasonable and coupled with the rent it remains a satisfactory investment.

From other people I hear arguments all the time about "you cant rely on apprecaiton" but you cant rely on for e.g. non-capital guaranteed bonds or funds retaining value either. Its all part of the gamble I guess.

Carriglee

I think we may be talking the same language. You say you don't think I am using the correct metrics? However I too am talking about the total return on investment (ROI). Part of your total return is the net (after costs and tax) rental yield. My point is that the other part of the total return is 'gambling on capital appreciation'.

Where you have lost my point is that you are comparing the ROI on someone's investment from the date they invested 5 years ago, with the ROI somebody investing new today in the property would achieve. I am not trying to compare these. Clearly the person who got in 5 years ago has done vey well on his original investment. I am not disputing that!

What I am trying to compare is the ROI that an existing owner and a new investor would earn on the same property from here on. My point is that they will earn the same return from here on (buying costs aside). The person who has done well so far could bank their return in Rabobank, and earn 3.35% (and rising!) with no risk or work or hassle or gambling or landlord duties or accounts or finding tenants or finding plumbers etc. etc. Instead they are keeping onto the investment. My question is for what? They will only earn net rental yield of less than 2%. So, any existing investor is clearly 'gambling on some (positive!) capital appreciation' just to break even (as compared to sticking it in Rabobank), and quite a bit more to compensate them for all the risks they are taking. So back to my original post, if yields (and by yield I mean total return on investment) are too low to advise a new investor to buy the €600k house (or whatever property), are they not also too low for it to make for the existing owner to keep onto the investment. I think some posters seem to agree with this, but the only reasons given to date have been either an ignorance of other investment types, or some fuzzy feeling that they've done very well so far so if they lose from here on they're still up on the deal. Dodgy financial logic I would think?

Hi Roland,

In response ...

>> 'Where you have lost my point is that you are comparing the ROI on someone's investment from the date they invested 5 years ago, with the ROI somebody investing new today in the property would achieve'.

But the ROI is calculated on what one's invests (regardless of when this happens). As Mr A invested five years ago then his ROI for the current year would be based on the return (i.e. rent and capital appreciation) for the current year as a percentage of what he invested five years ago. Therefore, the example I provided is comparing the ROIs for the current year for both Mr A and Mr B.

>> 'What I am trying to compare is the ROI that an existing owner and a new investor would earn on the same property from here on. My point is that they will earn the same return from here on (buying costs aside)'.

Firstly, to clarify some of the terminology I use. The investment is the money one put's into the purchase of the asset. The deposit and the buying costs are generally one's investment in a property. [But there may also be others such as renovation costs, etc.] The asset is the thing that generates the return i.e. in this case the property. The investment and the asset are not the same thing.

It doesn't really make sense to compare ROIs by ignoring the deposit or the buying costs. It could give a very skewed and misleading indication of the ROI. For example, the closing costs of investing in Spanish property would be as much as 10% and the deposit can be as large as 50%. Ignoring either or both will give you a very false picture of your ROI on buying Spanish property.

Back to my original example ... Mr A who bought the property 5 years ago, would have done so at a lower price and invested less in it's acquisition. Therefore, (all other things being equal) his ROI year on year should be higher (and importantly his potential risk lower) compared to Mr B who bought the same asset today. They do not earn the same ROI.

>> 'The person who has done well so far could bank their return in Rabobank, and earn 3.35% (and rising!) with no risk or work or hassle or gambling or landlord duties or accounts or finding tenants or finding plumbers etc. etc'.

Yes. In order to utilise the equity the investor could either sell the asset (or part of) or refinance. Based on what he would have earned from the asset todate and may continue to earn in the future then he may be slow to sell unless he identifies something that will earn more than 5% net per annum and/or involves less risk and work.

>> 'Instead they are keeping onto the investment. My question is for what? They will only earn net rental yield of less than 2%'.

You're using the current rental yield metric here which is not so relevant to your question. A yield value of 2% would suggest to me that Mr B would be basing his decision to buy on an expectation of further rental increases and/or capital appreciation. But Mr A has a ROI (for this year) of 5% net plus any capital appreciation.

>> 'So, any existing investor is clearly 'gambling on some (positive!) capital appreciation' just to break even (as compared to sticking it in Rabobank), and quite a bit more to compensate them for all the risks they are taking'.

No, this doesn't make sense to me. The figures show that even in the case of no capital appreciation, Mr A is earning 5% net. However, it is true to say that capital depreciation could wipe out his ROI. If he feels this is a risk (or there is a risk of dropping rents) then he may decide to cash in his asset. I think there is some anecodatal evidence of this happening in the Irish market at the moment.

Perhaps he may as you suggest lodge the money in a bank account but it will be preyed on by inflation - which I think is now about 3.8%.

>> 'So back to my original post, if yields (and by yield I mean total return on investment) are too low to advise a new investor to buy the €600k house (or whatever property), are they not also too low for it to make for the existing owner to keep onto the investment'.

No, not necessarily. Both are likely to have different ROIs for the same asset. What an investor should or shouldn't do all depends on what he sees as an acceptable ROI, acceptable risk, acceptable workload, etc. As the ROI for both is likely to be very different, it is possible that they may come to different decisions.

>> 'I think some posters seem to agree with this, but the only reasons given to date have been either an ignorance of other investment types, or some fuzzy feeling that they've done very well so far so if they lose from here on they're still up on the deal. Dodgy financial logic I would think?'

I think the logic used by most was based on rental yields as opposed to ROIs. The purpose of what I have done is to show that it does matter when one enters (and also leaves!) the market. Some investors have an uncany ability to get the entry and exit points rights. Investors that have nerves of steel and that have bought at the lowest point in falling markets and sold at the highest point in rising markets are those that maximise their returns. The rest of us tend to buy when the market is rising and sell when the market is falling. We may make some money but are also in danger of losing our shirts if we get the timing wrong. Fortunately, the long term trends for property shows that house prices increase - even when there may be temporary readjustments in house prices as in the UK in the 80s.

Thanks for response. However I think you are misguided in relating what you are earning now back to the original amount you invested. That might have some relevance in deciding how your money has performed to date, but it is of no relevance in making a sound decision on what to do with the money you possess today (i.e. the value of your property). My point all the way along is that the original amount invested is not relevant now. The only relevant amount now is the current value of the asset.

For example, you say things like "even in the case of no capital appreciation, Mr A is earning 5% net." Perhaps true, if you are still dividing the current net rental income by the original amount invested. But, if you do the math, then the same person would be getting a much higher return on original investment by sticking what they have now in a Rabobank (or similar) account.

Let me give an example. Say, you had only put in €50k of your own money into a property 20 years ago, you've paid off the mortgage and it is now worth €1m. If net rent is, say, €10k per annum then by your reckoning you are laughing because you are earning a minimum return on original investment of 10k/50k=20%, before any capital appreciation. Fantastic. Or is it? If you stick the €1m into a rabobank account, you will earn €33k with no risk or work at all. So by your reckoning is that not a return on original investment of 33k/50k of 66%? By holding onto the investment you are making only 20% (plus any capital appreciation...none guaranteed....), but by sticking it into a bank account you are getting 66%. So, the gamble you are engaging in is that you hope to make up the difference of 44% through capital apprecation, and if you are true to yourself you actually need quite a bit more than that in order to compensate you for the work you are putting into the investment and the risks you are taking by keeping onto €1m of your money in a property investment?

Roland ...

>> 'However I think you are misguided in relating what you are earning now back to the original amount you invested'.

Are you sure you meant what you wrote? If we're talking about measuring how well your investments are doing then we're talking about ROI (or one of the variations of it). I can't think of how you would calculate how well your investments are doing other than as a percentage of what you invested. This approach is used throughout the business world and is true of every asset class that I'm aware of.

>> 'That might have some relevance in deciding how your money has performed to date, but it is of no relevance in making a sound decision on what to do with the money you possess today'

The return from a successful property is in the form of a rental return and/or capital appreciation which generates equity. When you talk about 'money' are you referring to what you could do with the equity? If you're asking about the equity then as mentioned in my last few postings you would look at any prospective investments. If we're talking about investing in additional property then you may use the rental yield as a back of the envelope calculation to guage if the asset is worth further investigation. However, I would hope that one would follow this up with calculating the current and projected ROIs to determine if the investment makes complete sense. Again the ROIs would be based on the amount of cash you would be investing in the new property.

>> 'My point all the way along is that the original amount invested is not relevant now'.

In order to see how well an investment has/is doing then of course the original sum is important. Example 1 - I invested 30k five years ago and I make 10k a year from it. Example 2 - I invested 60k today and I may make 10k a year from it. Is there a difference? Why is there a difference? Yes, because the sum invested in Example 1 is working harder than that invested in Example 2. It is not true to say that both investments are the same and that the original sum invested is not relevant.

But if we wish to see what use we could put any build up in equity to then the original amount invested would not be relevant to the new analysis. The ROI for any further investment would be based on the amount taken from equity to be invested.

>> 'Let me give an example. Say, you had only put in €50k of your own money into a property 20 years ago, you've paid off the mortgage and it is now worth €1m. If net rent is, say, €10k per annum then by your reckoning you are laughing because you are earning a minimum return on original investment of 10k/50k=20%, before any capital appreciation. Fantastic. Or is it? If you stick the €1m into a rabobank account, you will earn €33k with no risk or work at all. So by your reckoning is that not a return on original investment of 33k/50k of 66%?'

I think this example explains a lot. The investment in the asset is 50k. Your equity is 1m. The average increase in equity is 50k per annum. The net rent is 10k. Therefore, in year 20 the return would be 120% (i.e. 10 plus 50 and divided by 50), which isn't bad! In the meantime, the investor has use of the increased equity. So say in year 20 he could comfortably draw out up to 600k of equity. Whether or not he would invest that elsewhere would depend on the current and projected ROI of the new investment. If he even gets a fraction of the return achieved by the existing investment then he is likely to beat the interest rate offered by any bank. This is especially true if gearing is used sensibly. However, with lower rental yields in Ireland it is getting increasingly difficult to acquire properties with acceptable ROI figures (unless one is extremely bullish about the market). I think many (but by no means all) of the more experienced property investors are currently wary about the local market.

>> 'By holding onto the investment you are making only 20% (plus any capital appreciation...none guaranteed....), but by sticking it into a bank account you are getting 66%'.

If you cash in the asset in return for placing the equity in the bank then you're effectively investing 1m in the bank for a fixed return of 3.3%. If you look at this as a continuation of the original investment of 10k (which I wouldn't do) then yes you are getting 66% of the original investment (which is still not as good as the 120% of above). However, this is hiding the average performance of the new investment (behind the excellent figures for the original investment). If you previously managed to achieve 120% why would you now settle for 3.3%? Fortunately use of the correct metrics would show the bank deposit account for what it is - safe, secure but losing out to inflation. I would hope that you could invest 1m somewhere for a lot more than 3.3%!

Carriglee wrote:

"If you previously managed to achieve 120% why would you now settle for 3.3%".

Because past performance is not a guide to future returns.

Because as Roland's posts suggest, capital appreciation of property along the lines we have become used to in recent years is probably a thing of the past (but who can be sure?).

Because if we believe, as many suspect, that capital appreciation may not happen in Irish property, and indeed depreciation is possible in the near/middle future, why would you not take your profit now, sell up, and move to another asset?

Carriglee

I give up, so this is my last say on it! You are clearly mixing up past returns you have earned on your original investment, and the likely future returns you will earn on your current equity, as if they are interchangeable. The two are apples and oranges in my mind.

"I can't think of how you would calculate how well your investments are doing other than as a percentage of what you invested."

You will find the measure used in the business world is return on equity i.e. current equity, and not the original amount that was invested in the company.

"In order to see how well an investment has/is doing then of course the original sum is important. Example 1 - I invested 30k five years ago and I make 10k a year from it. Example 2 - I invested 60k today and I may make 10k a year from it. Is there a difference? Why is there a difference? Yes, because the sum invested in Example 1 is working harder than that invested in Example 2."

Not necessarily, as you might not continue to get 10k from both investments. If you invested 30k 5 years ago and you make 10k a year on it, then it is worth 80k today. The question you ask yourself now is what return am I getting on the 80k, as you could invest the 80k elsewhere. In deciding where to invest the 80k for the future (which includes asking yourself if you should leave it where it is) you do not ask yourself what return am I getting on the 30k I originally invested.

"If you cash in the asset in return for placing the equity in the bank then you're effectively investing 1m in the bank for a fixed return of 3.3%.

At last you are viewing potential future returns as a % of current equity (and not your original investment).

"If you look at this as a continuation of the original investment of 10k (which I wouldn't do) then yes you are getting 66% of the original investment (which is still not as good as the 120% of above)."

You again confuse future potential returns (the 66%) with returns you earned in the past (the 120%). There is no link between the two. I am pointing out the current equity you hold in the property is not earning even anywhere near the 66% currently. You disregard the bank account approach in favour of "the 120%" when really the 120% is simply a hope or a wish, based on a gamble. My original point is that to get to 120% again in the future, you are gambling on capital appreciation.

Best of luck!

Hi Lumpsum

You have assumed that my replies to Roland are advocating investing in property, which isn't the case. I have neither come down in favour nor against property in my replies.

If you read the whole thread you will see that I have defended the use of proper analysis to justify why an experienced investor might be happy about their past property acquisitions but not so happy to invest further. However, the fact that one may not intend to invest further in property doesn't necessarily mean that one should sell up - hopefully the content of the previous posts around ROIs will give some people the means of analysing their own situation and making their own decisions rather than listening to the bulls and bears barking for the sake of hearing their own voices.

>> 'Because if we believe, as many suspect, that capital appreciation may not happen in Irish property, and indeed depreciation is possible in the near/middle future, why would you not take your profit now, sell up, and move to another asset?'

I'm sure if someone believes there will be capital depreciation then they will take this into account in their decision making. On the other hand if someone thinks that prices will continue to move upwards they too will take account of this. What more can I say?

Hi Lumpsum

You have assumed that my replies to Roland are advocating investing in property, which isn't the case. I have neither come down in favour nor against property in my replies.

If you read the whole thread you will see that I have defended the use of proper analysis to justify why an experienced investor might be happy about their past property acquisitions but not so happy to invest further. However, the fact that one may not intend to invest further in property doesn't necessarily mean that one should sell up - hopefully the content of the previous posts around ROIs will give some people the means of analysing their own situation and making their own decisions rather than listening to the bulls and bears barking for the sake of hearing their own voices.

>> 'Because if we believe, as many suspect, that capital appreciation may not happen in Irish property, and indeed depreciation is possible in the near/middle future, why would you not take your profit now, sell up, and move to another asset?'

I'm sure if someone believes there will be capital depreciation then they will take this into account in their decision making. On the other hand if someone thinks that prices will continue to move upwards they too will take account of this. What more can I say?

Carriglee

No I didn't assume you were advocating investment in property. Hey I don't know whether or not there will be capital appreciation/depreciation in property going forward either.

If you invested E200,000 in property ten or fifteen years ago, and it was now worth E1 million, that would be a terrific capital return, apart from the annual rent yield. I was just suggesting there was some merit in Roland's original point.

Say you have an asset worth E1 million - whether it is in property, shares or widgets. The question is what asset you put/leave it in for the future. With rental yields low, and various people (call them barking bulls and bears if you wish) predicting that capital appreciation may not be the feature of the property market in the future that it has been in the past, might existing property owners not be considering moving the wealth in their impressively grown asset to a different asset class?

Tis a question to which we do not yet know the answer. But it's a good question.

I'll bow out of this here too.

Hi Roland ...

Your original post was about two investors that invested in the same asset at different times and which you said were both earning the same return on their investments. You asked why could one be laughing and not the other. My replies were addressing this question. Hopefully we have covered enough examples to explain that (based on the figures supplied) they are not and will not earn the same return. It should also be clear why the original investor may decide to hold the asset while a potential investor may decide not to buy it - even though as you correctly point out the yield (as a percentage of the current value) is the same for both. I think you're now asking whether there is a better outlet for the original investor's equity and the new investor's cash than the original asset class. Again all I can say is that this would depend on the projected ROI (as well as other variables such as risk, workload, etc.) offered by the various options. The projected ROIs (except where there is a fixed return) are likely to be fairly subjective and speculative. As Lumpsum says who is to know whether the future will bring appreciation or depreciation to a given asset class. You can however minimise the risk through a balanced portfolio.

You mention Return On Equity (ROE) as perhaps being appropriate for measuring performance. From my limited experience of analysing the performance of companies it is a measure of how effectively the company uses investors' money and is calculated as a percentage of shareholders funds. Therefore, like the ROI it too works off the value of the amount invested.

However, I have also seen a less traditional use of ROE, which measures not how cash flow performs in relation to the original investment but how it performs in relation to the value locked up in the asset. You can get strange results with this use of the metric. For example if cash flow increases at a slower rate than equity but both are still very acceptable then the ratio actually reduces. Alternatively, if cash reduces at a slower rate than equity you can get an increase in the ratio.

>> 'You disregard the bank account approach in favour of "the 120%" when really the 120% is simply a hope or a wish, based on a gamble'

The 120% is based on the figures you (rather than I) provided and at no point did I suggest you chase a 120% return. I did however question how an investor could accept going from earning 120% to 3.3%. I believe one should be able to find investments that earn more than inflation without accepting major risks. But an investment that is right for one investor may not be appropriate for another.

>> 'So, back to my initial question then, are the same questions new owners are asking themselves, not being asked by existing owners?'

My final word is that yes they may be asking the same questions but it is also very possible they are getting different answers. This had the makings of an interesting thread but I think it is moving away from the original question to the old chestnut of where one should in the future invest one's money.

Back