.ie domain now for next year

Jackie D

Hi,

I'm setting up a new business end of next year. I would like to take a .ie domain now as its available but I understand I need a RBN in order to do so.
As it will be a LTD company, I dont want to set it up now, as I wont be trading for probably 12 months. I am afraid I might lose my chosen .ie domain name if I don't register it asap.
I believe a hosting company can hold a .ie domain for a month before registering a RBN and no longer.
Any suggestions?

I wouldn't worry too much even if your domain is taken. Domain names wont really make the business work. You can call your business colliflower.ie and as long as its a good business it doesnt matter.

I have registered two .ie domains.
I just registered the business name with the CRO.
That was it. Domain names are important for branding and SEO.
So you should look into to buying it.
Don't know about hosting providers holding a domain. If they do it's not for long.

I just registered the business name with the CRO.

Can you register a business name then change to a LTD. company when trading? This would be easier as i dont know what the implications are of having a registered LTD. company for a year without trading.. Anyone?

Not sure. As I said all I did was register the name with the CRO. I'd say you can just not 100%.

Get an RBN at the cro in your own name (Sole Trader, trading as) and use the receipt from the cro website to secure the domain you want.

You should really go to a site (like www.register365.ie ) right away to secure the domain, as providers can register the domain for you immediately, and give you 45 days to sort out the paperwork...

Just register your bus name on the cro.ie site for 20 euro. Then go to blacknight.ie and buy the .ie domain name, probably cost you 50 euro in total.

I disagree with comments above saying domain names don't matter. I have 3 online businesses here and the product im selling is exactly what the domain name is. You can't beat that when your telling people your company name, i actaully say the company name is the domain name. You can't register domains as company names with CRO but you can just say on documents: 'company name' trading as 'domain name' and everywhere else just state the compnay is called 'domain name'

I would always go for a company with a .ie domain if searching for something on Google etc. Perhaps its just me but if someone goes to the bother of getting it i'm happier to do business with them.

Anyone can get any .com domain and i just don't trust them.

Absolutlty Ron, the country specific domain gives confidence to people. Even more so here as people can't just go and buy up domains and sell them off, people like to buy Irish. Im all for the .ie domains, use them all for my online shops.

reading sjg1234 - if I were to buy the domain name, do I own it ? or does blacknight own it ? and if I don't want them to host the site for some reason do I have control over the name and can take it to another host or do they have control and insist I stay with them as they have registered my name.

you own the name 100% outright and nobody can change that as long as you are the owner contact on it. I suggest getting it through blacknight as they are resellers and hence the .ie domains are about 30 euro with them. You don´t have to host with them at all, you can host with whoever you want. Just change the dns settings to your hosting provider. There is no penalty from blacknight to move it either, some company's allow you to buy the domain cheap and then charge you to move it, blacknight doesn´t do that. Not trying to plug them, I just find their service really good.

Thanks for that sjg1234. Forbes do you use lets host and has it worked out, the site seems to clear up a lot of issues but is the service good?

I bought a domain from them earlier this year and have since transferred it to my main hosting provider.
No problems with them at all.

Edit: Just to be clear I don't have a hosting package with them so I can't comment on that aspect.

Back