I want to buy a saddle from the UK?

Hooverfish

I need a new saddle. I have always supported Irish manufacturers like Berneys before, but on this occasion the match of horse and rider requires a saddle only manufactured in the UK - I did look at the only Irish manufacturer of this type of saddle, but the UK product in this case is superior by far.

I've checked the customs tariff code on the EU tariff database is 0% for a saddle made in the UK. The company normally charge 20% UK VAT and ship via UPS. If I import it, I then also get charged 23% Irish VAT including UPS shipping cost and probably a handling charge too.

Does anyone understand what the story is about UK businesses registering with Revenue here so they can charge me only Irish VAT? This is a very small company and I'd be surprised if they would sell 5 saddles to Ireland in a normal year? If this is just a registration form and then send on the VAT I think they'd do it but if it means two-monthly Irish VAT forms forever I definitely don't think they will. I haven't yet been able to find any way to request refund of the UK VAT once I've paid the Irish VAT.

I do see NI companies not charging UK VAT for ROI sales, but I've explored the NI route with the saddle makers and it's not financially viable for us, as any saddlery company there is going to charge a large markup and requiring a large discount from the saddler. Is there a way an English company can not charge VAT on an export perhaps?

The only other route I see is mildly dodgy and very slow - get it delivered to an NI friend, then wait for another friend or relative to be driving down to ROI? Then we only pay UK VAT.

Thanks for any advice! Let's not get started on what happens if it turns out not to be quite the right "fit" - I am working with the saddle company to avoid this but it could happen.

The only other route I see is mildly dodgy and very slow - get it delivered to an NI friend, then wait for another friend or relative to be driving down to ROI? Then we only pay UK VAT.

Only very mildly dodgy. You are paying UK VAT instead of Irish VAT.

I know a few people have done this as they were worried about the hassles and paperwork and admin charges.

I know others who just bought the goods and they were delivered with no VAT. But they tended to come through the post. A courier might be different?

Brendan

I ended up having to get something in through NI, company wouldn't courier to Ireland but would to NI, used DeliverMe up there to hold it and then got courier through Shiply to bring it down here. If I was nearer Dublin though I'd have driven up to Newry for it myself which would have been handier. Added a nice little cost onto it!

DeliverMe actually do deliver themselves too but where I wanted it delivered wasn't on their routes.

Hi,
The UK company should be able to apply 0% UK VAT on exported goods.

It's something they need to do, then you just pay 23% Irish VAT when it's imported so there is no double VAT.
So I've since discovered you need your EORI number for the invoice (I already have one), and that you need to know the HS code (customs speak for the type of item you are buying). Finally, the seller has to provide evidence that the item was manufactured in the UK. I can't say it was easy to find all these details, so many thanks for your contribution, RedOnion.

Back