I want rid of norton.... (doing a spring clean)

fair enough clubman, but did you have to learn to do something the first time?
I want to learn how to sort things like this out.
You mean the original problem or the new ones that you have created in the meantime while trying the address the original problem? Or both?
if it bothers dont post on the thread
It doesn't bother me to post what I think is constructive advice in situations like this.
& if it really bothers you, please lock/delete the thread.
Why would I do that!? :confused:

How did you uninstall the Accessories and utilities.

I stupidly went messing around with the "add/remove windows componants" in add/remove programmes. (I am not the only one to have ever done it)
[broken link removed]

although I am going to give it up for this eve now, it was about this time on monday night that I started to mess around too much for my own good.

You mean the original problem or the new ones that you have created in the meantime while trying the address the original problem? Or both?

both, but as aircobra19 said I sould really take it one job at a time.

tried that, yeah that is a good clue lol, unfortunatly, when I do it I recieve a file cannot be found message.

I am in work atm so cant click on the links, thanks for the help though.

If you stick the Windows CD in it gives you the same options to add/remove.

Its going to take long time (perhaps an unrealistic amount of time) to do this over the web, if you are going to reveal something new in every post like that. Or to put it another way. In the time period of 3 days taken to get this far, you would have reinstalled a fully working Windows in an hour or so. So its a very poor use of time. What is your objective here, uninstall Norton, fix your PC, learn about the computer? Bit of scope creep going on. There are better ways of learning this, pick up a Windows or an A+ Book or do a course

If you're running XP, you should be able to go back to a restore point before you removed the Accessories and utilities.

thanks seagull I was looking at that last night, couldn't see any previously saved restore points, but like I said above it was late & I didn't want to make matters worse, so I left it for this eve to have a proper look.

are restore points saved automatically, or would I have to set one up?

No offence but for somebody who claims that they want to learn you don't seem to be doing much in the way of rooting out relevant information off your own bat...

If you stick the Windows CD in it gives you the same options to add/remove.

when I bought the laptop (from PCworld - I know :( ) I never actually recieved a windows CD.

I think I am going to have to bring it in - no time this week due to work, so if I can do it in the meantime great, if not Qua sera sera.

No offence but for somebody who claims that they want to learn you don't seem to be doing much in the way of rooting out relevant information off your own bat...

no offence taken.

time is very restricted this week due to work, (not home till 9 most evenings this week) I am doing as much research as I can in the evening, but AAM is one of the very few sites that I can get in work which is why I am picking yer brains, again thanks for advice given so far.

when I bought the laptop (from PCworld - I know :( ) I never actually recieved a windows CD.
Many (most?) PCs/laptops don't come with installation CDs these days. They may include the recovery media images on a spare hard disk partition from where it can be booted or burned to CD-R[W].

...time is very restricted this week due to work, (not home till 9 most evenings this week) I am doing as much research as I can in the evening, ...

I would thats a bad time to experiment and do things the long winded way by trial and error. Where yo might make mistakes and compound the problems.

Depending on which version of Norton you have, I think it has its own system restore, called go back. Does it disable XP's one? I don't know. All I know I uninstalled it a few times and it took forever.

Back