I need a clever phone

• Thread starter fatherdougalmaguire
  • Start date
F

fatherdougalmaguire

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone can recommend a phone which will let me have some control over calls to non-local (i.e. national and mobile) numbers. Dr M, you spoke of one recently, what make/model is it? Does it have a call log (outgoing calls)? Is there a stun-gun feature that might go off every 2 minutes? That'd be sweet.

I was going to consider getting Eircom to render the line 'local-only' but I think that might be a bit too harsh. Unless they provide you with a PIN or something to unlock it.

Just seen this if anyone's considering shifting provider. Free off-peak local and national calls.

moving

Ive been thinking of shifting providors too, that utv link looks tempting. Does anyone have a link to price differences between landline providors?

Re: a "clever" phone?

fatherd, my own phone is a [broken link removed], retails for about £60 in the UK, although I managed to pick it up a bit cheaper on eBay — in fact I've just looked, and the guy I bought it from is doing a twin set for [broken link removed], which is excellent value if you think you might be adding an extra handset at some stage down the line... (and despite what's said on the auction page, he actually will post to Ireland if you clear it with him first and cover the difference).

Tbh I'd imagine that any half-decent DECT set will let you do what I've done, which is to go into the settings/security menu and bar outgoing calls to specified prefixes — 00*, 08* and 15* respectively will block direct-dialled calls to international, mobile and premium-rate lines — so that you have to go via the Telestunt prefixes I mentioned in my . Just check before you buy...

To the others — yes, that UTV offering does look pretty good. In my case, though, the problem was the cost of all the daytime calls, and I still can't see anything better than Euphony's €10 "dial-all-you-like" deal for those...(?)

Cheers,

Dr. M.

FrD,

I presume you know this, but a clever person will simply plug their handset in behind the DECT base station and bypass your security coding.

z

True, zag — thankfully, my kids haven't yet got smart enough to carry around additional handsets! ;-)

P.S. If that is a problem, then you'll have to pay Eircom (€2 a month plus VAT) to block the line to local calls only... :( )

zag,
I know that. You know that. But the pair I'm talking about are about as much tech-savvy as uncooked pasta.

I've already been through the manual for my cheap-ass DECT phone that I got from Power City. In fact, that might be half the battle - the convenience. Anyway, thanks for the recommendation.

By the way, it seems that there's a 12-month contract with that UTV Talk package I mentioned above.

Like I said elsewhere, carrier pigeons are yer only man...!

Back