Other I keep receiving policy holders information. Who do I complain to?

Wishes

Looking for some thoughts on the following please.

For the past two to three years I have been in receipt of data from a highly reputable insurance company. This data consists of policy numbers, policy holders and risk addresses. This data does not belong to me but obviously of insurance holders with X insurance company.

I have always carefully disposed of above information and have informed insurance company of their error and they themselves have asked me to dispose of same.

As I myself do business with the insurance company it was always put down as a systematic error and cross wiring of addresses. I was assured that this error would be rectified.

I had received no more post of this nature for some time but within the last two months I am back in receipt of policy numbers etc. but what makes this worse is that this information is not for me nor is it for the policy holder mentioned, but of the banking institution that holds an interest in the policy holders address, informing them of the status of the policy etc.

For example they are writing to X bank at my address and informing them of their interest at the risk address.

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill or should I complain to the appropriate authorities about the above?

If not who and where do I address such a complaint too?

Is it your name on the envelope? If it is not then you should not open it and return to sender if the sender address is on the envelope.

Wishes,

I can see your problem(s). Firstly you do business with the the offending party and presumably you dont want to jeprodise your business relationship with them. Secondly the Data Commissioner seems to be set up to recieve complaints from individuals who suffer as a result of non compliant data management behaviour and not innocent by standers such as yourself.

If I were you I would write to the company in the first instance and state that you wish to assist them to gain compliance with the data regulations. Clearly state all the breaches you are aware of with details dates and times.

Ask them to rectify the matter and to let you know what specific corrective/preventive actions they have taken. (vague assurances or promises to investigate are not good enough).

Finally tell them that if you recieve such data again you will be reporting them to the data commissioner or one of the individuals whose details have been compromised.

You should find out who the designated data controller for the organisation is and CC them with the letter.

aj

Aj
OP has already asked them to sort it out, why continue to waste ones own effort on it dealing with the company. Why should he have to outline all the data breaches according to the DP Act - more waste of OP's time. The company will be well aware of their obligations etc.

Pass onto the data commissioner I say or a newspaper. Should stop pretty quickly then.

Is it your name on the envelope? If it is not then you should not open it and return to sender if the sender address is on the envelope.

Hi Ontour,

In the beginning my name used to be on the envelope but these days the envelopes are addressed to a banking institution. They seem to be under the illusion that my address has become the contact center for a couple of different banking institutions.

I have returned the envelopes in the past but of late I have disposed of them. I contacted the insurnace company before I done this.

The last person I spoke to took the complaint quite seriously but the post seems to persist.

Why continue to waste ones own effort on it dealing with the company?
If the OP didnt want to jeprodise the business relationship with the insurance firm.

Wishes, Do you know who the designated data controller is for the company?

Flattea, thank you for your reply. I had been in two minds whether to contact the banks that should have been in receipt of the letters.

Ajapale, I don't know who the designated data controller is but I will find this out today. I do have a reference name who I shall contact, but this may be a wasted exercise as I have done this in the past.

What is very worrying is in previous letters they had wrote to me saying that I 'Wishes' had an interest in X persons property. I destroyed these letters immediately and contacted the insurance company who agreed that I should dispose of them.

I am going to bring this to a conclusion once and for all so I will keep this thread updated with how this all pans out.

On the other hand, you could keep a record of all the various properties that you now seem to have been granted an interest in, head out one dark night, burn them all to the ground, claim all the insurance in your capacity as "interested party" and retire to Barbados. :D

Back