I forgot about money I owed to BoI when I emigrated - now I can't get a mortgage?

A mortgage broker told me I would have to wait 6 years before anyone would touch me
Yeah, go to a different broker.

Believe it or not, Bank of Ireland might be most willing to lend to you. In your shoes, I'd contact them and get a meeting with one of their mortgage team so you can explain the circumstances. I've seen people get mortgages after PIAs and bankruptcy with them.

So I moved abroad in 2015 and I just came back last summer. I owed BoI €4000 that I and they forgot about. There was no communication from them or I until I found it on my credit report. I paid it off in full in October.

My wife has never had any issues. This is my only one bar one I settled with ptsb but is wiped completly and not on any records. I'm on €70k and she is on 50k. We have €35k in savings. A mortgage broker told me I would have to wait 6 years before anyone would touch me as I had not made a payment in 7 years. Is it worth getting a second opinion?

I wouldn't give you a mortgage in case you "forgot" that you owed me the money.

It's really amazing the way that moving abroad seems to affect people's memory for their debts. And the way that applying for a mortgage a few years later seems to jog their memory.

Brendan

Last edited:
So I moved abroad in 2015 and I just came back last summer. I owed BoI €4000 that I and they forgot about. There was no communication from them or I until I found it on my credit report. I paid it off in full in October.

My wife has never had any issues. This is my only one bar one I settled with ptsb but is wiped completly and not on any records.
So that's two cases of defaulting on loans?

Back