I don't know what a current account is Joe

Bridget1984

Brendan's complaint about the Joe Duffy Show and Life loans came up recently but something that I heard on the show a few months ago was worse imo. A women who opened an anpost smart account 2 years ago and forgot about it then decided to put a few euro into it to "save for Christmas" , she was shocked to find out that €120.00 was taken in frees ( anpost charge €5 for smart account) Duffy didn't seem to understand the difference between a current account and savings account either and went on a rant that an post were stealing from the vulnerable or some such nonsense.

Hi Bridget

That is funny the way you describe it.

So I Googled An Post Smart Account which brought me here which makes no mention of fees:

The headings are
  • Applying for an Account
  • Account Features
  • Customer Support
  • Online Banking Support
  • Safety and security
  • Lost or stolen cards
  • Account Changes
Absolutely no mention of fees anywhere.

I did find them on bonkers.ie

Fees

While savings and money back options are all well and good, when we get down to it, maintenance and transaction fees are always going to have the most impact when it comes to switching considerations and regrettably, the Smart Account has its fair share of them.

Unlike a few of its competitors, the Smart Account doesn’t charge for transactions, which is nice but at the same time it does have a high enough €5 monthly maintenance fee - not to mention the fact that you’ll be charged a hefty enough €0.60 fee every time you take money out of an ATM (the highest that banks charge for ATM withdrawals is €0.35 from AIB). This charge goes down to €0.50 if you make a withdrawal from an An Post branch.

I have to say that if something is called a "Smart Account" it would not be obvious to me whether it was a current account or a deposit account.

I would further say that my personal impression of An Post is that there are no transaction charges. I don't use them much, so I might be completely wrong.

This is such an odd product that they should flag the fees at the very top.

Unlike a few of its competitors, the Smart Account doesn’t charge for transactions, which is nice but at the same time it does have a high enough €5 monthly maintenance fee - not to mention the fact that you’ll be charged a hefty enough €0.60 fee every time you take money out of an ATM (the highest that banks charge for ATM withdrawals is €0.35 from AIB).
This is clearly a product for someone who has a lot of card transactions, direct debits, etc.

Very odd to use it as a savings account. Either it was mis-sold to her or she just forgot about the fees.

The original post does not surprise me. The Post Office system is far and wide in Ireland and I bet not too many fulltime Post Office clerical workers know much about their services (as per my experiences) never mind the assistants and part-time assistants in smaller sub post offices in rural Ireland. Consequently, I'm not surprised that customers are sold something that they never wanted.

And if any person said to me they never heard of a current account, I'd have no problem believing them. Then again, I'm the type of person who makes allowances for others.

The original post does not surprise me. The Post Office system is far and wide in Ireland and I bet not too many fulltime Post Office clerical workers know much about their services (as per my experiences) never mind the assistants and part-time assistants in smaller sub post offices in rural Ireland. Consequently, I'm not surprised that customers are sold something that they never wanted.
That's no excuse for mis-selling a product ("if" that's what happened here). Anyone selling a product, especially a financial product, should have some basic knowledge about it and have leaflets outlining the main features including fees.
And if any person said to me they never heard of a current account, I'd have no problem believing them. Then again, I'm the type of person who makes allowances for others.
I think that Joe Duffy would know the difference but @Leper I wouldn't make the allowance you would for the presenter of a programme on the national broadcaster. Making allowances for others isn't always a virtue. It's sometimes akin to "turning a blind eye".
JD is a very humane empathetic person and does a great job giving ordinary people a voice, but he's human and like us all he has his prejudices. Sometimes these prejudices result in bias and in treating some people and subjects poorly.
I recall the programme on 28th Jan this year (I know the date because I sent in a couple of complaint texts to the programme) where @Brendan Burgess was ganged up on and Joe wasn't giving him a fair chance to put his points. The panel was at least 4 to one against Brendan. JD clearly had not been briefed to the great gratis work BB has done on behalf of consumers of financial products (ask the many oppressed customers of Irish Nationwide). BB didn't make allowances for "Fingers Fingleton". More recently on the Tracker issue it seems to me that he was the only one who believed that the banks could be forced to compensate the many people who had their Trackers changed to variable rate mortgages by slight of hand. He persevered and I think he won many many millions of Euro in compensation for consumers. The presenter of a national programme such as Liveline would have been aware of that (made aware of it by his backroom team) but allowed his bias and prejudice to enable him to "turn a blind eye" to it and take the easy and lazy "populist" position. As a result I would not trust his programme when covering a financial product and I guess that the Authority won't allow him to in future. But for lots of other consumer issues I think his programme does great work especially for vulnerable people.
I also remember back in 2014 at the time of the last Gaza war when over 2,000 Palestinians were killed (including 500 children). JD had an Irish Jewish doctor now living in Israel on the phone. This doctor, in defending Israeli actions among other stuff, said that when people are injured by a bomb in Israel he would also treat Arabs injured in the blast. Joe should have been aware that there are about 2 million Arabs that are citizens of Israeli and living in Israel proper. Joe should have asked the doctor "but why wouldn't you treat them aren't they just as much a citizen as you are"? This should have led to a discussion of whether Arab Israelis are in fact treated as full citizens. I'm only recounting this incident to make the point that JD is only human and in this case I'd "make allowance" for his lack of knowledge of Israel history. I've never heard his programme discuss the issue since. Like us all he can have an off day, get tired, lack sufficient knowledge of some subjects and have his biases.

Last edited:
I was aware of the An Post fees, and thought it surprising that they wouldn't be mentioned on their website (as per Brendan's post above).
So I googled "An Post smart account" and was brought to this page - not the same one that Brendan linked to:

There is a clear reference to the €5 per month fees on this page.

That's no excuse for mis-selling a product ("if" that's what happened here). Anyone selling a product, especially a financial product, should have some basic knowledge about it and have leaflets outlining the main features including fees.

I think that Joe Duffy would know the difference but @Leper I wouldn't make the allowance you would for the presenter of a programme on the national broadcaster. Making allowances for others isn't always a virtue. It's sometimes akin to "turning a blind eye".
JD is a very humane empathetic person and does a great job giving ordinary people a voice, but he's human and like us all he has his prejudices. Sometimes these prejudices result in bias and in treating some people and subjects poorly.
I recall the programme on 28th Jan this year (I know the date because I sent in a couple of complaint texts to the programme) where @Brendan Burgess was ganged up on and Joe wasn't giving him a fair chance to put his points. The panel was at least 4 to one against Brendan. JD clearly had not been briefed to the great gratis work BB has done on behalf of consumers of financial products (ask the many oppressed customers of Irish Nationwide). BB didn't make allowances for "Fingers Fingleton". More recently on the Tracker issue it seems to me that he was the only one who believed that the banks could be forced to compensate the many people who had their Trackers changed to variable rate mortgages by slight of hand. He persevered and I think he won many many millions of Euro in compensation for consumers. The presenter of a national programme such as Liveline would have been aware of that (made aware of it by his backroom team) but allowed his bias and prejudice to enable him to "turn a blind eye" to it and take the easy and lazy "populist" position. As a result I would not trust his programme when covering a financial product and I guess that the Authority won't allow him to in future. But for lots of other consumer issues I think his programme does great work especially for vulnerable people.
I also remember back in 2014 at the time of the last Gaza war when over 2,000 Palestinians were killed (including 500 children). JD had an Irish Jewish doctor now living in Israel on the phone. This doctor, in defending Israeli actions among other stuff, said that when people are injured by a bomb in Israel he would also treat Arabs injured in the blast. Joe should have been aware that there are about 2 million Arabs that are citizens of Israeli and living in Israel proper. Joe should have asked the doctor "but why wouldn't you treat them aren't they just as much a citizen as you are"? This should have led to a discussion of whether Arab Israelis are in fact treated as full citizens. I'm only recounting this incident to make the point that JD is only human and in this case I'd "make allowance" for his lack of knowledge of Israel history. I've never heard his programme discuss the issue since. Like us all he can have an off day, get tired, lack sufficient knowledge of some subjects and have his biases.
Thanks for that Prosper. I should point out I was making allowance for the lady who knew nothing about Current Accounts. Apologies if I was unclear.

Hi gipimann

I see that now. So Google brings me to two separate pages. I picked the one marked help which brought me to
The headings are
  • Applying for an Account
  • Account Features
  • Customer Support
  • Online Banking Support
  • Safety and security
  • Lost or stolen cards
  • Account Changes
Under features, they should have highlighted the expensive charges.

They probably need to highlight "This is not a savings account"

Brendan

Their advertising seems to target the elderly who (presumably) trust An Post as a brand and still use cash a lot. At least it's not a borderline scam like some of the other stuff advertised to the elderly (my favourite is the "over 50s funeral plan" that doesn't actually pay for your funeral if you die after the age of 75).

There is a clear reference to the €5 per month fees on this page.

Yeah, but that is only part of the picture.

The first reference says "Fair fees" as the header and then says "€5 a month covers all your electronic eurozone payments" and omits to mention ATM fees (which are high with An Post) and other fees. Albeit, it is mentioned later in the long webpage. A title with "fair fees" should be fair and honest with the narrative and mention all core fees including ATM fees and link to other fees such as the high FX fees. Instead An Post misleads with a narrative that one might think is an all inclusive fee.

Back