Hyundai sudden unintended acceleration.

pingin

Last February I bought a five-year-old Hyundai i30 from a dealer. It had low mileage and has been going fine. However I have noticed something strange lately.

Sometimes when I’m pulling away from a standstill and changing from first to second gear the car seems to suddenly accelerate. I thought at first that I was engaging fourth gear by accident but no. It also seemed like it was fighting against the brakes when I tried to stop it. It’s only happened three or four times but it’s very worrying.

Having Googled the problem, there are terrifying stories from the US of people being killed or seriously injured through unintended acceleration. Thousands of cars have been recalled in recent years, though not the i30. Apparently there’s a problem with the electronic accelerator mechanism.

The car is still in warranty. Would I be within my rights in sending it back for repairs?

Hi Pingin. I'd say you would definitely be within your rights to get it rectified.
It sounds like a major safety issue. There was deaths in the USA from unintended acceleration from faulty throttles.

I had issues with the electronic accelerator pedal on my current car but it's a long time out warranty.

Not unintended acceleration but unintended entry into Limp mode which can be a bit of a nuisance too. And a safety issue too.

I was able to solve it in the end by disassembly of the potentiamoter, giving it a good clean with electric contact cleaner and cotton buds, reassembly and adjustment to resistance values found on the Internet.

Hi Pingin. I'd say you would definitely be within your rights to get it rectified.
It sounds like a major safety issue. There was deaths in the USA from unintended acceleration from faulty throttles.

I had issues with the electronic accelerator pedal on my current car but it's a long time out warranty.

Not unintended acceleration but unintended entry into Limp mode which can be a bit of a nuisance too. And a safety issue too.

I was able to solve it in the end by disassembly of the potentiamoter, giving it a good clean with electric contact cleaner and cotton buds, reassembly and adjustment to resistance values found on the Internet.
Thanks RichinSpirit. Sounds like you had quite a bit of work to rectify the problem. Never good to compromise on safety. You'd almost long for the simplicity of mechanical components.

Back