Husband passed away, what rights have our children?

suemoo

Hi all,

Im looking for some advice. My Husband sadly passed away 5 years ago.

At the time our girls were 1 +5 years and . He had been sick for a longtime prior to his passing. My question is around a conversation which he had with me prior to his passing. He asked me that when the time comes to make sure that the girls get what he should have inherited.

Right now there is nothing to inherit however, his mother is elderly (father deceased) and there is an elderly spinster aunt with a sizeable property and land.

I feel perhaps I should be aware if there is anything I need to do to secure our girls inheritance when the time comes. Also my understanding is that there are no wills as his family "don't do wills" so I'm guessing that the law will then just make that happen? If I'm wrong here and a will is created can my late husbands entitlements be written out of the will? .....from a personal perspective the money literally means nothing to me directly as I am financially secure, however emotionally this is very important that I take the right steps as aside from him making me promise to tell the girls he loves them every day he also made me promise to make sure they got "his share".

I appreciate any guidance in this matter.

Thanks

Suemoo

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for your loss.

I found the text difficult to make out; paragraphs make things easier to read.

In any event, I think you are asking about your in-laws property; and the answer to that is pretty simple.

It is their property and they are entitled to do what they wish.

There is no action you can, or even should, take right now except to do your best by your mother-in-law; who has had to do the one thing every parent dreads and bury their child.

Put it all out of your mind and be glad that you can provide for your children.

On the bare facts, your husband had no "entitlements" so he had no "share" in anything. Many people (wrongly) assume that assets in their extended family should stay within the family.

If there are no wills, then, on her death, his mother's estate will be divided between her surviving children and the children (her grandchildren) of any of her children who died before her.

In the aunt's situation, on her death, the entitlement on intestacy - where there is no will is as follows
Bachelor or SpinsterNo ChildrenParents take all.
Bachelor or SpinsterNo Children
No parents
Brothers and sisters equally and children of deceased brothers and sisters take their parents share where there are surviving brothers and sisters.
Bachelor or SpinsterNo Parents/Children
No brothers/sisters
Nephews and Nieces equally.

mf

mf

That is great

Right now there is nothing to inherit however, his mother is elderly (father deceased) and there is an elderly spinster aunt with a sizeable property and land.

So suemoo

You will have to give more information about the spinster Aunt.

Was she a sister of your father in law or your mother in law.

Did you husband have any brothers or sisters?

Brendan

Did you husband have any brothers or sisters
Why? Other than the OP doing their sums to figure out what might happen should the in-laws fail to make a will (which is a questionable activity in itself); the OPs post was how to ensure their children got their "share" or what could be done if one or other relative wrote a will which excluded them.

And the answer to those questions is, you can't take any action at this time.

As others have said, you have no legal right to any inheritance.

perhaps you and your daughters could spend some time with their granny and auntie. By partaking in their lives, then they (the older folk) might see fit to give them something. Even at that, if they don't, then you will have done right by your late husband.

mf

That is great

So suemoo

Did you husband have any brothers or sisters?

Brendan
Hi there, she was a sister of my mother in law. And yes my husband had 3 other siblings. Thanks for your help

As others have said, you have no legal right to any inheritance.

perhaps you and your daughters could spend some time with their granny and auntie. By partaking in their lives, then they (the older folk) might see fit to give them something. Even at that, if they don't, then you will have done right by your late husband.
Thanks for the judgement and advice. (Not) your assumptions are that we don’t spend time which is incorrect, we have a close relationship. I seek information as my late husband made me promise to do so. Looks like Iv nothing to do which is great as I was worrying I’d have to do something legally and that’s not a road I want to go down.......emotionally it’s important I follow through on a promise to my dying husband.

I assume you want your children to inherit some of your husband’s aunt fortune.

if I didn’t have children I wouldn’t give any fortune I had equally to my siblings or their children. People can be closer to certain relations than others even if they are the same relation.

On the bare facts, your husband had no "entitlements" so he had no "share" in anything. Many people (wrongly) assume that assets in their extended family should stay within the family.

If there are no wills, then, on her death, his mother's estate will be divided between her surviving children and the children (her grandchildren) of any of her children who died before her.

In the aunt's situation, on her death, the entitlement on intestacy - where there is no will is as follows
No parents
Brothers and sisters equally and children of deceased brothers and sisters take their parents share where there are surviving brothers and sisters.
No brothers/sisters

mf
Thank you for this.

Thank you for the i formstio

No parents
No brothers/sisters

mf
I assume you want your children to inherit some of your husband’s aunt fortune.

if I didn’t have children I wouldn’t give any fortune I had equally to my siblings or their children. People can be closer to certain relations than others even if they are the same relation.
that would be nice for them I guess but mostly I just want to follow through on what my late husband made me promise.....looks like Iv nothing to do (thankfully!), I was worrying I’d have to go down some legal route which is something I would not want to do personally....I remain close to his family and I wouldn’t want to damage it.

Why? Other than the OP doing their sums to figure out what might happen should the in-laws fail to make a will (which is a questionable activity in itself); the OPs post was how to ensure their children got their "share" or what could be done if one or other relative wrote a will which excluded them.

And the answer to those questions is, you can't take any action at this time.
I ask the questions as my dying husband made me promise to do so....the money is irrelevant as I’m financially secure. I remain close with my late husbands family and it’s been on my mind the damage that could be caused to relationship if I had to go down some legal route......which thankfully looks like I don’t. Also, if you are dying I don’t think this was an unreasonable request to make to try and secure something for your children in the future.............I find your reply very judgemental.

Hi there, she was a sister of my mother in law. And yes my husband had 3 other siblings. Thanks for your help

There is nothing you can do legally. The grand aunt can do what she likes.

I am trying to follow the rules of intestacy i.e. if she dies without making a will...

It's too complicated for me to figure out.

Brendan

I am sorry your husband has died and that you are fretting about the promise he requested of you.

If your mother in law and aunt in law have made wills they may or may not have left your children a portion of their estate. Morally there probably is nothing you can do to influence them changing their wills if they do not contain a bequest for your children.

If they die without a will your children will get a portion.

@suemoo

Have you made a will yourself?

As a single parent it makes sense to at least nominate a guardian for your kids in case you die before they are adults.

Likewise your in-laws may bequeath something to you, and you should make it clear that this is for the benefit of the kids (and how) if you pass away.

Talk to a solicitor.

He asked me that when the time comes to make sure that the girls get what he should have inherited.

Dont want to come across as insensitive, but with the best will in the world, thats a difficult enough position to put on you. In hindsight, this conversation would have been better coming from your husband, to his Mother and Aunt in their final talks.

Difficult as it would be, I would speak freely to my own parents and siblings about these matters, but would find it difficult enough to have the same conversation with my wife's family

Last edited by a moderator:
I, and I'm sure many others, read your initial post as that you didn't currently have a relationship with your in-laws, maybe that's us but a lot of us seem to have read it that way.

I, and I'm sure many others, read your initial post as that you didn't currently have a relationship with your in-laws, maybe that's us but a lot of us seem to have read it that way.
I guess that says more about your own world then mine. The relationship was not mentioned in the OP so negative assumptions were made from your own frame of reference

I guess that says more about your own world then mine. The relationship was not mentioned in the OP so negative assumptions were made from your own frame of reference
No, it actually refers to the many, many other references to wills that people ask about on here. Perhaps the fact that you make no reference to any discussions with your late husband's family gave that inference also.
So, maybe talking to them might be an option.

If you were referring to me making judgements and assumptions, I can assure you I was not.

Back