Husband let go from contract

Shakespeare

My husband, working through his limited company has had his contract terminated early (IT contractor in financial institution).
As he's self-employed, does he qualify for anything from social welfare? It doesn't appear so, how can this be fair?
Self employed people pay PRSI contributions on ALL income, there's no PRSI ceiling for them and I'm seriously wondering towards what are they contributing if they receive no obvious benefits in time of difficulty, we've just had 2nd child, I'm not receiving payment from my company so we've gone from 2 full incomes to one maternity benefit payment in the space of a month. We have a Eur3k mortgage and a child in creche, we have nothing but savings to live off right now and it's getting very stressful.
Have we any entitlements?

thanks for reading.....
S

He may qualify for 'job seekers allowance' which is means tested Your local community welfare officer in your nearest health centre should have some details

Depending on your current income and savings you may also be entitled to some payment towards the interest part of your mortgage. If this doesn't work, try to get your bank to allow you say six months without paying or extend the term to make it more manageable. Try going to the social welfare office, the citizen's advice centre etc for more advice. Alernatively give more details on here and you will hopefully be given more direction. Congratulations on the 2nd child.

Back