Husband being made redundant and Wife on Illness Benefit

D

Dopey67

Hi All

Just wondering can anybody help me on what entitlements my husband and I with 2 kids one school going and other at playschool are entitled to. We have some capital but not very much, my current earning on disability is €88.00 and my husband has the chance of a job doing a school run which will only be for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours late afternoon 5 days a week. My question is should he not take the school run as I think this will affect his benefits from the Social Welfare when he signs on.

Any advice would be much appreciated as we both have never really dealt with the social welfare and I am only on disability approx 10 months and we do not know a lot about benefits or any entitlements which may be due to us.

Thanks

You are right in saying that if your husband takes up the school work, he will not be entitled to any Jobseeker's Benfit.

From reading your post, it would seem the best option for you is to claim Qualified Adult Allowance for your husband if he intends taking up the school work.
If hisweekly income or earnings is €100 or less, you will receive a full increase for them. If hubby has gross weekly income or earnings of between €100.01 and €300, you will get an increase for them at a reduced rate. You won't get an increase for him if he has gross weekly earnings or income of more than €300 before deductions such as PRSI or tax. See here

As your husband would be working 20 hours a week on the school run he may qualify for FIS which would appear to be a better option.
The means assessment for couple with 2 children is €570.

Back