Husband, a non-national, leaving the country

foreigner

Can I somehow become the sole owner of the house that my husband and I bought together three years ago in Ireland taking a mortgage for 35 years. the fact is that we are getting a divorce. we are foreigners and the husband leaves soon. he said, will not pay the mortgage! I and the children will stay in Ireland for life. He promises that the house will be mine. but that's just words. what to do? who can help in this case? or is it a dead end? I lost...

Sorry to hear about your marriage ending.

Your husbands name will be on the title deeds to the house and also on the mortgage.

Your husband can agree to transfer his interest in the house to you. If he is willing to do this your solicitor should be able to complete the paperwork. This would make you the sole owner of the house.

Your husband would probably want his name taken off the mortgage as well. This would need the bank to agree.

You will need to approach the bank to ask them to do this. However they are unlikely to agree, without a good reason.

If you tell them that your husband is leaving the country and you will only continue the mortgage payments if they take his name off they bank may accept.

Good Luck

I think it's really important that you sort this out with a solicitor as soon as possible. Obviously it's a stressful time, but it's best to sort out this situation before he is gone.

Can you afford the mortgage and it is in NE?

Back