Hugh O'Connell (Irish Independent) articles on Holly Cairns planning permission

arbitron

Hugh O'Connell seems to be auditioning for a role at the Daily Mail. A few months ago he wrote an article about Soc Dem leader Holly Cairns applying for planning permission:

Holly Cairns plans to build house more than twice the size of average home

which he has now followed with an update:

Soc Dems leader Holly Cairns gets planning for new house more than twice the size of average home

I do not see any public interest in this at all. Whatever about one article, following a non-story up with a second is inexplicable. Nothing illegal or even unusual on the part of Cairns. The angle seems to be that she is somehow wrong or a hypocrite because she has the desire and the means to build a larger house than average. It's not exactly Kinsealy.

Architectural drawings for the proposed development show Ms Cairns’s new home will include a large master bedroom with a walk-in wardrobe, plus an ensuite with a shower and bath.

Are TDs not allowed storage and indoor washing facilities?

She acknowledges that she is lucky because she is on a high wage. She is planning ahead for when she takes over the farm, surely a reasonable and responsible thing to do.

Can anyone shed any light on why this particular story has been highlighted by the Deputy Political Editor of a large national newspaper?

It's a dreadfully petty article. I want people who are smarter and more successful than me running the country and the opposition. I don't agree with many of her views but she's a smart and capable woman who, I would suggest, would be earning far more if she invested the same time and energy in another career. I wish her and her family well in her new home and I hope she doesn't take notice of nasty begrudging people who play to the basest elements of society.