How to open a corroded screw

hansov

Went up the ladder to gutter level (and not enjoying it) to replace a blown bulb in an outdoor security light. Tried to open the housing to replace the bulb to find that the screw was badly rusted and corroded. Any idea of what I can do to open the screw? My Dad suggested a good soaking of 3-in-One Oil to loosen it up. Done that and letting it work overnight. If that fails what do I do next?

My Dad always told me to try to turn the screw clockwise a smidgeon. This might free it up the other way.

Failing that, turn off the power at source, and see if you can hacksaw the head off through on the other side of the wire holder

And when you replace it make sure to use a brass screw which will not corrode. My guess is that somebody incorrectly used a non brass screw which should generally not be used outdoors for this very reason.

Is it one of those halogen floodlight square lights? I dont think they come with a brass screw which just closes the housing. The screws that hold the bracket to the wall should also be brass if possible but these might be easier to source than the smaller one to keep the housing closed.

stobear said:
Is it one of those halogen floodlight square lights? I dont think they come with a brass screw which just closes the housing. The screws that hold the bracket to the wall should also be brass if possible but these might be easier to source than the smaller one to keep the housing closed.
Yep it's one of the halogen lights and it is the screw which closes the housing which was definitely not brass! I will try the WD40 route and see what happens. Thanks folks. I will be back asking a follow-on question if what I think could happen, happens and I have to replace the whole unit!

Update on the screw. It's gone! I tried WD40 but that didn't work so I drilled it out and used a cable tie to close the housing. Now I can see the weeds grow at night :D . Thanks for your help and advice folks.

hansov said:
Update on the screw. It's gone! I tried WD40 but that didn't work so I drilled it out and used a cable tie to close the housing. Now I can see the weeds grow at night :D . Thanks for your help and advice folks.

Sorry to be alarmist but if the light you refer to is a halogen light (150 watts or more) is it a good idea to secure it with a plastic cable tie? I dont know what temperatures a cable tie will tolerate but I know those halogen lights can get very hot, much more so than an ordinary incandescent bulb.

A bolt with a slightly smaller diameter through the hole and a nut on t'other end might be a more permanent solution. You dont want any water getting into the house either!

Points both well taken. The light is never on for more than a minute or two at a time as we use it as a security light in the back garden. I will "re-bolt" it asap. Cheers

Back