How to make a clean break from a Webdesign Company

Max Million

Hi,

I had a webdesign company creating a website for my business, I paid them half of the total cost of the project, when the project started. Their work is below par and I wish to cut my losses with them and cease my working relationship with them. How should I communicate this to them? Would an email be sufficient?

I want to make clear to them that they will not be getting the remainder of the project money we agreed upon at the outset. The site is not live and there is a long snag list of items that they need to address. It is like pulling teeth getting them to do any work for me. I just want to put this bad experience behind me and find a more professional webdesign company.

If anyone could advise me on how to handle this situation, in order to make a clean break with them, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
MM.

There are so many "web design" companies out there that finding a good one is difficult.

Is there a possibility of hiring someone directly to do the website and create social media platforms for you? Some semi-independent / one person bands may like the safety of a long term partnership for 15-20 hours a week.

I think the only way is to be straight up with the current crowd. Suggest that it's possibly because they don't understand your business/products that is causing problems and best for both of you to call it a day.

For anyone taking over the work, make sure they understand the product/service you are offering and that will be half the battle.

What does your contract with them say? Is there a clear statement of deliverables with mile-stones, check-points and reviews specified? If there is how does reality stack up to the plan? If there isn't, how do you decide how much work is done and who has ownership?

First thing who registered the domain name, was it yourself or the webdesign company.
Next find out who is the hosting company they are using. Perhaps the designers have not got one yet all the better if they have not.
Then simply register with a new hosting company yourself cost about 400 per year and design your own site on wordpress for free.

Tell the designer that you aren't happy with the work and you are ending the relationship. You only have to pay for work that you are happy with, so you are not under any obligation to pay for substandard work.

Then give Paul at Hilmon Arts a shout. He's built my last two websites and I couldn't speak highly enough of him. He will build you site from scratch and no messing around.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

First thing who registered the domain name, was it yourself or the webdesign company.
Next find out who is the hosting company they are using. Perhaps the designers have not got one yet all the better if they have not.
Then simply register with a new hosting company yourself cost about 400 per year and design your own site on wordpress for free.

Costs a lot less than that. Even AWS will do it for under a hundred bucks.

Tell the designer that you aren't happy with the work and you are ending the relationship. You only have to pay for work that you are happy with, so you are not under any obligation to pay for substandard work.

Then give Paul at Hilmon Arts a shout. He's built my last two websites and I couldn't speak highly enough of him. He will build you site from scratch and no messing around.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Design companies are well used of clients expectations versus reality. If they are an established shop, it's a fair bet that their contact is going to be fairly well locked down and you can't just decide not to pay.

Back