How to locate a previous solicitor

Pieface

Hi,
We bought our house about 20 years ago. Our solicitor doing the conveyancing work for us became a barrister a few years after that and transferred our files to another solicitor. I do not remember or have any records of the name of the new solicitor. I have tried looking in the Roll of Barristers but I could not our original solicitor turned barrister. I would appreciate any advice on how to find the solicitor who has our files.
Thank you.

If this is for a property/mortgage transaction, you don't need old files- the lender will have the Title Deeds.

Any solicitor can act on your behalf.

What other files might you be seeking? If it's Wills, you can just make a new one.

mf

Yes this is for a mortgage/property ownership. I will be applying for a transfer of ownership soon.

is mortgage cleared? If so, lender would have contacted you regarding handing over the deeds. If it is not cleared, then the lender still had them!

You can contact the law society. Normally if someone ceases to practice then the law society would be notified of where the files are being transferred.

Back