How to inform tenants that lease is not getting extended?

Just on my point, OP can serve a notice now to end the lease in 4 years. The tenants may believe they are on an indefinite lease and can do what they like, including being late with payments every month. If you serve them a valid termination notice it becomes clear that they are going to lose something through their behaviour, even if it's in 4 years time and that might encourage them to pay on time, if you tell them it isn't written in stone and you might reverse the notice/let them stay if they pay on time.

The other advantage of legally serving now is to avoid the case where they change legislation in the future and you lose the power to terminate the lease. I'm not a lawyer but would guess the legally served notice couldn't be invalidated retrospectively.

The issue with any termination threat is that in 4 years the lease rolls over to an indefinite one and OP loses the leverage. OP could also inform them that if they don't pay on time they will sell the place or move back in. The issue there is that they may bring in selling with tenants in situe and you lose that leverage and are stuck with them forever. This type of situation, combined with rent controls, is why a lot of people are selling up.
There's no guarantee that future legislation won't overturn existing eviction notices so I wouldn't bank on that.
The advice earlier to seek a determination order now from RTB over tardy payment of rent to till the ground for a future breach of determination order case is sound advice.

Ok, I think I found the rent renewal notice on RTB website.

It seems like there are conditions to rent increment too

"Any dispute in relation to the new rent must be referred to the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB) under Part 6 of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 before:
(a) the date the new rent becomes payable (this must be at least 90 days after the date of service of this notice); or
(b) the expiry of 28 days from the date that the tenant receives this notice, whichever is the later date."
Yes, you have to give at least 3 months notice in writing

Ok, I think I found the rent renewal notice on RTB website.

It seems like there are conditions to rent increment too

"Any dispute in relation to the new rent must be referred to the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB) under Part 6 of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 before:
(a) the date the new rent becomes payable (this must be at least 90 days after the date of service of this notice); or
(b) the expiry of 28 days from the date that the tenant receives this notice, whichever is the later date."
Make sure you follow the rules by the letter of the law using the templates and rent calculator if you are in rent pressure zone. Remember that you are limited by the HICP level and no more that 2%per year but it depends on the last rent increase. You need to inform RTB of the increase once it has changed.

Back