How to haggle with a dealer?

livEwirE

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has any haggling tips for buying from a dealer?

Cheers!

I've a bit of exp in this but not major.

First thing to do is know what the market price for the car you are looking at is e.g. check some sites and get a feel for the price.

Then go around at least 2 or 3 places and get there best price from each getting them by getting to knock off a few grand at least, then play one off the other e.g. I'm getting is for €1000 cheaper up the road but like the colour of this car, can you meet me half way - €500.

Don't be afraid to walk away from any dealer, there is loads of dealers out there...

1. Repeatedly kick the tyres, shaking your head disapprovingly
2. Run your hand over the bonnet, muttering 'respray' and " " " "
3. Peer under the wheel arches, " " " "
4. Speak exclusively in rhyming slang or mechanics' jargon (the 'box', the 'donkey', etc.)
5. Roll your eyes heavenwards every time he mentions some special feature of the car
6. Set the alarm on your mobile to go off a minute or so into the conversation, then take the 'call' and walk off saying loudly 'Yeah... yeah... €16K, he wants? Tell him I'll give him €10K, and he still owes me for the other yoke...'

:D

I always put it something like........

'I will take it for €x' - rather than asking for a certain discount..........It tells them that there is a definite sale if they give the discount.

Back