how to go about purchasing notional service from the Dept of Education and Science?

V

valmc

Does anyone know anything about how to go about purchasing notional service from the Dept of Education and Science?
I will need to purchase about 15 years to get a full pension at retirement age and I cannot seem to get any concrete info on how to go about this.
The person I spoke to in the Dept of Ed said to wait for the next dept circular (last one was 2005) before I apply. The website just says I must apply in writing and I cannot find anyone else who has actually done it to advise me! All the teachers I know are topping up pensions with AVCs which I definitely do not want to do.
If anyone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Re: Notional Service purchase

Contact pensions section, this taken from Department website:

Also apply before your next birthday as NSP is actuarially calculated based on age at inception so save yourself some money and start before your next b'day
Pensions

Dial (090) 6483600

Pensions - Retired Teachers Payroll

Pensions Administration - Secondary Teachers

Pensions Administration - Primary

Pensions Administration - VEC Staff, Institutes of Technology, Colleges of Education
(Primary Teachers), Colleges of Education (Home Economics Teachers)

Thanks Orga. I did actually phone them and they said "wait till the next circular". This is expected in the new school year, which happens to be after my next birthday.
I would love to hear from someone who has actually purchased notional service as i have a feeling I am being fobbed off by the dept.
The unions are also no help (I guess they are a little preoccupied at the moment!) and only direct me to cornmarket, which I know is not the best option.

Phone again, ask who is the principal officer or the assistant principal in the area and ask to speak to them. Ask for their direct dial in number if they are not available. Post again if you run into problems.

Thankyou ajapale - I didn't see this forum. A mecca for someone like me!

Back