Sean Og

The following lenders give cash back on new mortgages

Bank of Ireland 2%
EBS 2%
ptsb 2%

KBC €3,000
AIB €2,000
Ulster Bank €1,500

When you are applying for a new mortgage or when you are applying to switch, I recommend that you get approval from three or four lenders at the same time. These approvals usually last for about 6 months. After you have drawn down the cash from one of them, then switch immediately to one of the other lenders. You already have approval.

You can read the following case studies for the details:
Sean Og switched 4 times
misterk Switched 3 times
username123 switched three times AIB to BoI to ptsb to Ulster Bank €18,300 cash back less about €4,000 legal fees.
Lotus17 4 switches in 6 months Net gain after expenses: €11,000
Funnyname
Dexter Boi-ptsb-EBS- Ulster Bank and rate falling from 3.95% to 2.6%!
Jim got approval for three at the same time but missed the 6 months deadline
Candyman three switches from KBC and back again KBC to ptsb to BoI to KBC " I even told KBC I was switching away to get cashback but I'll be back, they had no issue whatsoever."
in progress

I recommend the following order

Permanent tsb - may insist that you are with your current lender for 12 months. Might also insist on a fixed rate. Are taking up to 40 days to pay the cash back
Bank of Ireland - may limit switches to <85% LTV
EBS - can be slow
KBC - you must open a current account with them to get the switcher mortgage
AIB
Then fix with Ulster Bank - can be slow in processing the mortgage so leave them to the end of the switching chain.

So Stage 1 should be to get approval from the first three.
When they are completed start Stage 2 with the other three banks

How long do you have to be with your current lender before switching?
The rules don't seem to be written down anywhere. And the same bank has told different people different things.

If you want to do the multiple switch recommended here, you can avoid this problem by applying to three lenders at the same time. They will look at your case and give you approval based on that. They won't subsequently withdraw it if you complete the first switch promptly.

If you switch from your current bank to BoI for example. And after the switch you apply to ptsb, they will probably refuse you.

Don't make the first switch until the approval has come through from the others.

Get everything in order so that you get approval from at least three banks at the same time
Salary slips
Bank accounts
Mortgage statement from your existing lender

If you are in the middle of a fixed rate with your current lender, ask them how much the break fee will be.
Don't assume that you can't switch because you are currently on a fixed rate. The fee for breaking out might be very low, or in some cases, zero.

Even if there is a significant break fee, it will usually still be worth doing.

The costs of switching
Your solicitors fees - which should be under €1,000 per switch - use a different solicitor if they are not.
A valuation fee

Tell your solicitor what you are doing in advance and get a quote for all the switches
One poster was quoted €1,500 per switch but negotiated this down to €1,500 for the first and €500 for each subsequent one.

[broken link removed] charges €575 per switch - I have not used them so this is not a recommendation

Tell your valuer that you intend to do multiple switches
Some lenders choose their own valuer and you pay them.

Always opt for a variable rate
Under Irish law, a lender cannot prevent you from repaying your mortgage in full at any time without penalty.

However, if you have a fixed rate mortgage, you can be charged a break fee. So don't fix your mortgage.

It's better not to use a mortgage broker

Mortgage brokers may have it in their contract with you that if you switch, you pay them a fee to compensate for the fact that they have to repay the commission to the lender.

Be careful to keep your credit record in good order
If you run into problems with your credit card or overdraft while doing this, it will be noted on your credit record and you will be stuck with whatever bank you are with.

Try to apply to three banks at the same time
Your application will be noted on your credit record. But if you apply at the same time, the record won't be updated in time.
It doesn't really matter if they do see. Just tell them that you are shopping around.

You must notify your mortgage protection company that you have switched
They note the lender as an interested party

Some mortgage protection is part of a block scheme and can't be transferred. Just take out a new policy. They are cheap unless you have health issues.

You must notify your home insurance company that you have switched
They note the lender as an interested party

If you intend to pay a lump sum off your mortgage eventually, don't do so until the switches are over
For example, if you have a mortgage of €300k and €50k cash. Switch the €300k so that you get 2% of the €300,000 or €6,000
If you pay off the €50k first, and then switch the €250,000 , you will get only €5,000 per switch.

So wait until the last switch to pay off the €50k.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frequently Asked Questions

Does it work with a new mortgage or just for switchers?
It works for new mortgages as well. The only difference is that you get approval for a new mortgage, but when it comes to it, you are actually switching.

One user considers this to be sharp practice. Most don't.

Don't draw down your mortgage first and then try to switch as some lenders insist you are with your current lender for up to 24 months before switching.

Can't the lender take the cash back if I switch again within 24 months?
No. They used to have clauses saying this, but they were illegal.

Does it raise the suspicion of the lender if you ask for a variable rate which is much more expensive than the fixed rates?
No. They might recommend a fixed rate, but insist on a variable rate. Tell them that you are going variable because you expect fixed rates to fall and will fix when they do. Tell them you might want to overpay your mortgage.

I am happy enough with AIB. If I switch from them now, will it stop me getting a mortgage from them in the future?
No. There are examples of people switching from one bank and then back to it again at the end of the switching cycle.

The second switch is delayed because ptsb is taking ages to pay me the cash back.
There is no need to wait for the cash back to be paid. Switch immediately. They still have to give you the cash back.

Summary Case Studies

Sean Og

Ok Brendan i will do my best although this has been discussed at lenght already here on different headings. My situtation was that i was on a 10 year fixed with EBS at 5.5% with about 3 years to go. My balance was €265k but the breakage fee was almost €22k. I realised that i could get the 2% cash back from PTSB, BOI and EBS if i returned to them at the end of the process. I explained to my local EBS branch that i was going to mone to PTSB and then back to them and would this be alright? (I didn't mention BOI )They said yes. What i did then was to get everything in order. Wage slips, Bank accounts, Mortgage statements from EBS, Salary certs, loan account statements etc. Then i applied to PTSB for a €300k mortgage. At the same time i applied to BOI for a €300k mortgage. Both PTSB and BOI said yes and gave me a full mortgage offer valid for 6 months. I told my solicitor what i was doing and he had no problem and gave me a good deal for the 3 switches. I got the mortgage from PTSB in June 2018 and once i got the €6000 cash back i paid off the mortgage in full by drawing down the BOI mortgage in July 2018. I now went back to EBS for their 2% cash back. This switch was a little more drawn out , why i don't really know but it took from September until December to get it done. I drew down the 300k mortgage from EBS around 12th December 2018 and received my €6000 on 30th January 2019 . Below is another post i had up earlier. I just copied and pasted it so hopefully it makes sense. People earlier were concerned about solicitors etc but as i said before you are doing nothing wrong here merely playing by the banks rules. I applied for the first 2 mortgages at the same time because i was afraid that BOI wouldn't give me a mortgage if they seen that i was only with PTSB for 6 weeks.

You go into PTSB and say you want to switch, they look at everything and see you are with AIB for 3 years and everything is ok, they say no problem and start the process. The nest day you walk into BOI and say to them "i want to switch from AIB", they look at everything and say "yes", the next day you walk into EBS and say "i want to switch to you from AIB for the cash back offer and lower rate", they look at your accounts etc and say "yes" no bother lets switch. You get full mortgage approval from the 3 lenders which is valid for 6 months, and then draw down each mortgage as you close the previous one. I would advise going for a variable rate although higher it stops the possibility of high breakage fees and delays with breaking from a fixed rate mortgage.

Username 123
As of yesterday, I have successfully completed the 3 switches from AIB (variable 2.95%) -> BOI (variable 3.9%) -> PTSB (variable 3.4%) -> Ulster(4 year fixed 2.6%). All went very smoothly, exactly as @Sean Og indicated. I waited until I got the cashback before I moved each time, out of the above fear! I didnt make any payments to BOI, and I made one payment to PTSB. There was never a question asked about anything during the switches. In total, this took just over 5 months. The slowest part was getting approval from Ulster which took 2 months alone.

For me, the cashback from both BOI and PTSB was received within about 7 days. I am now just waiting on the final leg, so the Ulster E1500 cashback. Once that is received, my total gross cashback will be E10, 700 (on these 3 moves), which is about E6500 after solicitor and valuations. We were also with EBS and AIB previous to this so in total since taking out our first mortgage 2 years ago, we have received E18, 300 gross cashback.

Jim

I can confirm i received cashback having jumped ship a few days after drawdown. Iv just completed the 3 switches in under the 6 months. Ebs to ptsb (3500) to boi (3500) to aib (2000).
Gross total 9000. Very easy cash imo and a huge thanks to sean og for the sound advice!

candyman

Credit to @Sean Og for original inspo around switching.
I just completed 3 switches in just under the 6 months mark. KBC>PTSB>BOI>Back to KBC.
If you can answer emails and queries quickly, providing any specific docs on the day requested, then the process moves along nicely. It is a paper exercise. I earned 8k in cashback on a small-ish mortgage.

One of the banks, when it came to drawdown, noticed that the redemption figures were coming from a different bank (BOI) than what was noted on the original loan documentation (PTSB). I said yes I had switched in the interim and they said fine, we just need to amend the loan docs. Not a problem!

So thanks again @Sean Og we await your next great financial idea with bated breath :)

This is such an inspirational case study, that I have copied it in full to this thread
Brendan

Inspired by the cashback thread and Sean Og, I set about switching my mortgage multiple times to a)make some money on cashback and b) end up on a lower mortgage rate with Ulster Bank at the end of the switching process.
My original mortgage was with EBS:€250K mortgage with 24 years left to pay at 3.3% rate.

I followed the advice here and applied for mortgages in all 4 banks at the same time, last March. I prepared all the documents advised in this thread and had everything ready to go. I also contacted my solicitor to discuss the plan and his fees. He agreed to charge me €1500 all in for the 1st Switch and €500 all in for each Switch he completed thereafter. I then waited for approvals to come through. This varied with the banks and some took longer than others. It took a bit of effort to keep it all moving - Ringing banks to keep it moving. Responding to them promptly when they requested anything. I organised Life Assurance with each of the banks individually and had it good to go with the in bank Mortgage insurance advisor. I wasn’t too bothered about the price knowing I mightn’t even make one Insurance payment. For the last Switch, I made sure I got the cheapest policy - in my case that was with Zurich, via bonkers.ie.

The minute I received approval from all 4, I cracked on with the 1st Switch.

Here are the dates:
BOI drawn down on 4th June. Received cash back on 21st June.
PTSB drawn down on Mon 15th July. Received cash back on 29th July.
KBC drawdown Mon 12th Aug. received cashback on Friday 30th Aug
UB drawdown on Fri 6th of September.
Received cashback: on TBC

Summary: 4 swaps in 3 months. €250K mortgage. Cashback earned: €5K BOI + 5K PTSB + 3K KBC + €1.5K UB = €14.5K in total.
Solicitor fees: €1.5K for 1st move plus €500 for each switch there after. Thus €3K in solicitor fees.
Other costs: valuations fees - circa €500 in total.
End result: Made a net gain of €11K on cashback. Upgraded my car with the fees earned. Reduced my mortgage rate from 3.3 % to 2.3% thus saving €1000s in interest. I also intend shortening my mortgage from 24 years to 18years with Ulster Bank. I will be able to do this now that the rate is much lower. I feel more comfortable with UB as they have a history of handing on interest rate cuts to customers unlike others, especially PTSB.

My Future plans: keep an eye on interest rates and see about fixing again at the end of the fixed period or even earlier if there is little or no break fee. Pay any spare cash into the UB fixed mortgage (they allow an overpayment of 10% of the entire mortgage balance annually to try to be mortgage free as soon as possible.

Sincere thanks to Sean Og and others who offered advice here along the way. Don’t mind the begrudges- go for it!

Thanks to you Sean Og I also switched 3 times last year and dropped my rate from 3.95% to 2.6%. Small bit of hassle but its free money.
Went from BOI-PTSB-EBS-Ulster Bank
I generally switched before the money landed too.
I still have PTSB sending letters every week looking for my life assurance docs even though I closed the mortgage in August 2018!! The amount of people doing this is minimal so I doubt they are too worried

Thanks to you Sean Og I also switched 3 times last year and dropped my rate from 3.95% to 2.6%. Small bit of hassle but its free money.
Went from BOI-PTSB-EBS-Ulster Bank
I generally switched before the money landed too.
I still have PTSB sending letters every week looking for my life assurance docs even though I closed the mortgage in August 2018!! The amount of people doing this is minimal so I doubt they are too worried
Well done Dexter, how much did you get from the cash backs and what deal did your Solicitor give you? Just curious? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back