How to enhance a property for an impending sale

robert 200

I am selling a 3 bed semi in a few weeks , I have engaged a painter and a gardener , what else can I do to maximize the selling price ?

1. Place a few vases of fresh flowers here and there.
2. Any glass e.g. Waterford Glass, wash and shine. Wash tea stains off any cups.
3. Remove any smoking smells.
4. Decorate beds like a child would decorate bedrooms in a doll's house.
5. Replace spent light bulbs.
6. Ensure all bins are as empty as possible during viewings.
7. Clean out presses and drawers except in kitchen where they should be neat anyway.
8. Clean the livin' bejazus out of toilet bowls, even around the "bend." Put some Domestos in the toilet bowl water every few days too.
9. A few neatly placed decent books on some tables give off a good impression.
10. Don't forget to repair any damaged curtains and curtain rails.
11. Shine up the windows including internal windows.
12. Hoover the carpets/flooring and wash them if necessary especially any stairs carpet.
13. I don't want to sound like Franc, but if you can see anything adverse, the potential buyers can see the same.
14. Trim the lawns as often as you can and look after the flower beds even if there are no flowers.
15. Paint the front and side gates.
16. Treat moss and lichens on walls and driveway.
17. Clear out whatever is under the beds.
18. Leave the selling to the real estate agent and keep out of the process e.g. don't show up when viewers are viewing.
19. Don't leave any cigarette packets or matches or lighters around even if full.
20. Ensure all rings of cooker are working.
21. Come clean if anything is not working e.g. central heating.
22. Don't leave any reason for the prospect not to buy.

Have the entire house warm for viewings, a real fire burning in the sitting room always looks good.

We put our Kitchenaid Mixer out on display (hadn't baked anything in months) to try and sell a "lifestyle", everything leper has said is bang on.

One thing we've become suspicious of in looking at houses is lit Candles - are they trying to mask something? House we had gone sale agreed on had a lit candle both open viewings and they'd left the fire on for a private viewing. Survey revealed serious rising damp issues which candle and fire may have been hiding (probably not, but we're paranoid at this stage).

I've said it many times and will do so again. You may like dogs, cats, pets, etc, but not everyone does, nor do they like the smells they leave inside the house and maybe traces of their eating habits outside. It can be a deal breaker and very often is.

Back