How to dispose of out-of-date medicines or tablets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pharmacy had a sign up recently enough saying once dispensed medicine cannot be returned for a refund. I have taken out of date medicine back for disposal from time to time, but not attempted to recently.

Occasionally a county or city council will do a free service of disposal of unused medicines properly (DUMP) with local pharmacies. So google or ask your local council, or community healthcare in HSE

My pharmacy had a sign up recently enough saying once dispensed medicine cannot be returned for a refund.

Absolutely, it's a safety issue. Once dispensed they are not permitted to re-sell returns.

Given that there is no other safe way to dispose of medication; customers have to insist that pharmacies do so.

Safely disposing of unused medication is just as important to public health

I'd advise asking nicely. Insisting on services you have no entitlement to isn't a reasonable way to behave.

Anyone seeking to return unused medication should contact their local pharmacies in advance of calling in to ask if they will accept them (particularly while in Level 5 restrictions). If accepting returns of unused medication is important to you, then give your custom to a pharmacy that offers that as a service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back